Will taking Citalopram in the morning help with sleep?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I was prescribed citalopram for anxiety about sleep.

I have had insomnia for over a month due to my fear of not sleeping.

Doctor gave me 20mg of cit and I first took it at night but it made me wired and couldn't sleep well:

I have changed to taking it in the morning - will this help?

When should I expect to be able to sleep properly again? sad

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Well I dont know when other people take theirs but I always take mine when we have dinner in the evenings It would be interesting to hear what others do
  • Posted

Hi I started taking citalopram in the mornings and because of the side effects I changed to evenings. I don't get the insomnia though. I can honestly say changing the time of taking it has made absolutely no difference to how I feel. Can't vouch for the insomnia side though

• Posted

I take mine at 330pm as I get the yawns pretty hard after taking it and still don't feel super tired so the medicine with a cpl hours of day left lets me burn down the extra energy and usually fall asleep at about 930pm but wake up between 4-6 am, I had only 1 day that I slept till 6 usually 5 am is my wake time

• Posted

sarah

The best time to take this medication is in the evening, about thirty mins before bed.

If you take them in the morning you will not be as attentive. For best results for 20mg you need to take them for stress, Anxiety and Depression it takes about six weeks before they work well and calm your Anxiety

BOB

• Posted

Hi..eouldnt have thought cit would help you sleep any better? I take it for anxiety and sadness...i still have troubke getting off sometimes but i find im tired in the mornings? I take mine in the morning..hope this helps..
    • Posted

Hi..again..i usef to take mine at night but it kept me up with restless legs!!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.