Will the dull ache

Posted , 6 users are following.

I am in my 9th week after bunion surgery and toe correction on my left foot.

Foot gets very swollen and painful at times. I am a size 5 and having to wear size 6 but beginning to think I will have to get a size 7 as foot swells.

My other foot has to be done in time but someone please tell me this gets better and any advise on shoes/boots to wear

Back to work now after 6 weeks and elevating it at my desk.

Pain is mainly When I start walking on it.

Even though I am pleased with the surgery , I am beginning to think maybe I should not have had it done

Any thoughts anyone

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi

I am week 5. Feet are swollen on the bottom and any pressure near big toes is excruciating so I have to walk on the outsides of my feet.

My Dr just gave me another 7 weeks off. I cant drive or wear shoes, still bandaged. I am hoping to get bandages off next week so I can soak my feet.  Cant wait. 

I have talked to people who said it was 6 months or a year before they could wear shoes and others who are walking 3 weeks later.  Everyone who had it year ago happy they had it done. 

Maybe it depends on which surgery.  I had both feet done and chevron osteotomy. What type did you have?

• Posted

Hi Diana

I had bunion removal and my toe next to big toe, has been corrected by removing middle part of bone. I have 3 scars on foot and have pins and staples.

I am driving, but foot is so swollen on top of foot. I think it is when I am on my foot too much as when elevated for a while it settles.

Have not been given any exercises to do, just taking ibuprofen.

I have a consultation in August for right foot, but not rushing into this as want the left foot healed.

Elevation definitley helps and hoping for a speedy recovery

• Posted

I am six months post op and obviously one of the ‘slow healers’! As you say everyone seems to have their own pattern. I had both done at once by chevron/akin osteotomies. Numerous small (ish) problems since...tendinitis and now an unstable ankle BUT I did go skiing in January and managed remarkably well apart from being hideously unfit. Feet still a bit swollen I think. The hardest bit is keeping your spirits up and repeating ‘it WILL be alright in the end!’ to yourself over and over and over again!
  • Posted

Hi Sheree  I just feel the same x  my foot swells and it hurts when I walk x like you I thought I should not have had this done x and will need the right foot doing at some point x I have trainers they are sketches with a bit of silver on them and lace up!   I’m a 4 and they are a 4 wide fitting x x I thought I would be about 3 months ! Not had a good nights sleep yet and have foot up when at home x I hope more people put how they have gone on on here xxx 
  • Posted

I'm just joining in to say don't get disheartened!  I am 6 weeks post-op after big toe fusion and Weil osteotomies on my second and third toes.  I am wearing shoes two sizes bigger than normal due to swelling, can drive but certainly can't walk any distance at all without discomfort so can't accompany my husband on his business trip to Rome next week - so sad because it is my favourite city in the world!  But I had surgery on my right foot which sounds very much like yours exactly two years ago, so I know that it will be at least 3 months before I get back to anything like normality and capable of even light sightseeing. And my doctor assured me that I had made a relatively fast recovery, so I'm just hoping it will be the same this time round.

The truth of the matter is that for most people it is a long haul back to normal activity without being aware of ' the foot' and it is very easy to get down about this. That is in large part why I waited two years to get the second foot done, but I am glad I finally bit the bullet and got the second one done even though I'm finding this period tough. I just look at my near perfect pain-free right foot and tell myself it will be worth it in the end!

• Posted

I was done 28/4/17 and it took up till January for me to fit into a shoe it’s only time all will be good ,so hang in there it maybe earlier for you 👍

• Posted

Thank you everyone for all your support, I am sure it will be worth it in the end , have a consultation appontment in August for other foot, will see how this one has healed before attempting other one

Thank you again

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.