will the weight drop off?

Posted , 4 users are following.

[b] been on 45mg mirtazpine 4 about 14 months now .just started cutting my pill in half ,not told my doc .just sick of the weight gain i put on 2 stone , which is making me feel more depressed .does anyone know if i will lose the weight by grdually cutting down please .dont generally feel unwell yet as this is only my 2nd night of doing it.no probs sleeping as i take zopiclone as well.but have felt excessively tired this afternoon and spaced out feeling hard 2 explain

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

hi kitty

i stoped taking mirt last sunday and now gone onto venalaxine as i was the same i put on 3 stone i would get up in the night and eat crips ect and it was like i had no control over it

this week i not been sleeping so well but i stoped the crap and i do feel as the weight is starting to come off but i would talk to your gp about it and see if you can change anit depressant as u dont want the depression to come back

hope you get on ok

stefen x

• Posted

hi kitty

The weight gain issue seems to occur with all doses from 7.5mg to 45mg

It's the anti-histamine in the drug causing the hunger,not the anti-depressant properties

It can be controlled if you stick to a normal calorie intake of 1500 calories a day though.

Has it helped though with depression?

If if does then just stay away from sweets,and all the bad stuff

• Posted

Hi Kitty. I took Mirtazapine for 3 weeks before I just couldn't handle it anymore. I was on Venlafaxine at the time which helped a lot with my depression but as soon as Mirtazapine was introduced it made my depression much much worse, gave me bad rage, and I put on 3 stone in that 3 weeks which I have found incredibly hard to loose since no matter how clean my diet is and how much I reduce my calorie intake. I am on no medication at all anymore so there shouldn't be a reason for me not to be able to loose weight like I used to before I look any of this medication. My advice to anyone worried about weight gain is to stay well clear of this medication.
  • Posted

I am confused about this weight gain problem. I have been on Mirtazapine since last Oct 09 and at that time I was very overweight. I have since lost 6stone 3lb with Slimming World. For the first time in 18yrs I was able to stick to a healthy eating plan and my guess is that the meds did help me think more logically and clearer. Also the Slimming World plan allows lots of free healthy food so I eat loads of veg, fruit lean meat etc. So for me I guess the weight gain may come with an increase in appetite but if you fill up on healthy foods it should not be a problem. I still get bad episodes of depression but the one constant in my life at the moment is losing loads of weight.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.