Will this be it now

Posted , 7 users are following.

Wrote in here before and found it very helpfull. I had my back operation nearly a year ago. I had a discectomy on my lower back L5 I do believe, I have gone back to work for over 5 months now and I have got a lot better mybe 75percent .

But I struggle with work I do a 4 hour shift and I cannot do anything when I get home as am in pain . I have to lay down and rest . I cannot clean my house in a whole day anymore and I find it a struggle to do a roast dinner as my oven low . I still sit down and put washing in machine .

Went doctors last week and asked her will I get much better and she's not sure I will . I am going back to physio all I want is straight answers to know do I give up work or carry on ? Yes they gave me pain killers which help a bit, to me I don't want high painkillers that mask the pain coz then I feel like am ok to do stuff and suffer

I also have a T 1 which I don't know if this is link to me neck and shoulder pain which I can't lift me arm above me head or I. Pulled muscle at work .

Am actually very depressed coz I think am gonna have change me life and the biggest thing is working . I can still not sit for hours or stand for long periods of time .

All I wanna know is will I improve I cry constantly

Thank you

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Got all the same problems has yourself things take longer to do at home can't do things like I used to do b4 my operation . Work in a supermarket I have at to change my job within the supermarket but just can't afford to give up my job but find it very hard some days hope you feel better soon hun xxx

• Posted

Hi

I had a back op 20 months ago

It was still weak until a month ago

And I started swimming scone then

I feel so much better

The worst thing you can do is sit down

With bad posture

• Posted

Thanks for reply , I don't sit down if I can help it coz it's so uncomfortable. My job am on Me feet all day so in 4 hours I sit down for 15 mins. I find it hard even get in me car and drive home . I did do swimming for little bit , I've decided am gonna do it a lot more . And see if it does help me , I try everything before I decide I may never work again.xx do you work ? And do you get pain still?

• Posted

They call it failed back surgery or something like that it doesn't get better after a few months. I too had a discectomy on L5/S1 went back to work afterwards. But l was sat lorry driving 10 - 15 hours a day 6 days a week. Like you say couldn't afford but just managed to pay the mortgage in the end l was putting holidays in so l could work every other day.But it nearly killed me and ended up having a revisrevisional operation which has now left me disabled with chronic pain and sciatica. I wish l never had 2nd discectomy.Like everybody says it's the sitting for long periods that does the damage. All my disc are deteriorating. But the only kind of relief l would recommend is the swimming baths and try not to sit for long periods as l found out the hard way it causes more damage. Sorry to say.Dean.

• Posted

Thanks for reply , that's so not good and see this what worries me coz I don't want another op. I am gonna go swimming a lot more , and sitting I don't do a lot . I still get scatica not as bad , I do lot of walking just my back , even after walking I ache. My job physical so am always on the go . I just try nit to bend , and kneel down if I need anything . I am so sorry your in this position. It's my worse fear my heart goes out to you . I hope you get some relief xx

• Posted

I have had no op because I worried that would make it worse. I cannot stand for long or sit on a hard chair but I can control it by lifestyle which is limited. I sit in a recliner, do short walks only, and my husband is my carer. I am 73 so it is not as bad as it would be if I were younger as I don’t work or worry too much about being active which is impossible now anyway.
  • Posted

So sorry to hear you're going through such a tough time Donna. I can really empathise as have been going through real back problems myself for the last year and have had to be off work. Finding it so hard and debilitating and depressing, also been crying a lot and tried so many treatments just not sure where to go.

Just want to write to offer a word of hope, there is always hope because of God. You have been through so much Donna and I just hope and pray things get better, I still believe you are going to be pain free and back to good health and fitness again, even though it might seem far away now - thinking about you and trusting in God to help us through. Hang in there.

Craig

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.