Will this Prozac work? Will I get my life back?

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi, please help! I've been taken Prozac for 8 days (no time at, but sorry I'm desperate to feel better!!) I'm taking it for anxiety and depression. I've noticed my anxiety at morning times is 10 x worse since starting it and I feel incredibly sick, with no appetite at all? Did anyone else feel this way? Does it ever stop? I just feel hopeless at the moment and would love to hear from someone who has got through this time, or has any advice!

Kirsty x

0 likes, 53 replies

53 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Yup. Exactly why I stopped taking it. I was happy about the appetite loss, but my anxiety got worse than it was without this med and after a few weeks, it made me feel like a zombie...had to stop.

I don't know why people say 'stick with it...' These meds don't work for 80% or so of people that try them. I spent 2 years on 5 different meds and they didn't help. People have to do what is good for THEM...how THEY feel...people said stick with it...stick with it....why? I wonder if these people work for the pharmaceutical companies or something...LOL! Geesh...Something makes me feel like crap, I stop. Or the doc will add in other med. Anyway...there are other meds as an option. There are meds like Ativan to take if your anxiety is bad and periodic. There is thereapy as an option....sometimes the answer isn't in having to feel worse before you get better. Maybe one's body is trying to say 'THIS ISN'T A GOOD FIT?' Speak to your doctor. Don't listen to who knows how messed up contributors are here and what worked for them. Meds made my anxiety so bad I almost jumped out of a moving car! Should I have 'stuck with it?'' Best of luck to you, but speak to your doc and listen to your body. Figure out if you really need them too. X0

• Posted

Thanks for your reply, I have spoken to the doctor and they have said I haven't given it enough time to settle into my system yet. I have another appointment on February 20th, so will need to see how I feel by then... X

• Posted

Prozac has the longest half life of any SSRI, the active metabolite norfluoxetine (the active ingrediant in fluoxetine) has a half life of 15 days, so in order to reach a steady state in your blood it can take at minimum at least 30 days, figured i'd show you that before you start jumping around to other meds too early

• Posted

Could you explain this any more to me? I appreciate any knowledge or advice x
    • Posted

basically it can take up to a month to reach it's full potential, how many mg do you take?

• Posted

I'm on 20mg of Prozac now, doctor just dropped me to Paroxentine 10mg, said to give it four days then go on to that. I'm seriously worried about just having nothing them starting a lower dose in four days! Especially nervous over the weekend as there will be no doctors to contact. Does a four day break seem a lot to you?

Thank you for always getting back to me!

• Posted

My doctor has suggested I go on to PAROXETINE 10mg instead now, I'm terrified of having to have a break then starting again!! Has anyone ever done this? I feel at the end of my tether!!

• Posted

I am also thinking of changing .

,12 weeks on fluoxetine. However I was on it 4 years and was fine x I think it must be the initial starting off process x I'm sure you will be fine x

• Posted

Would you take a break? I'm really nervous to just stop. Then start something new in four days, I know it's always said you should never just stop so found it bizarre the doctor suggested that? xx

• Posted

Not sure as it's 12 weeks for me so it different x you've been on it a little while so it will be ok I think. I was on for four then went on to 20 mg every other day then I used to go days days and forget to take it . I was ok but got a anxiety back eventually after 6 months . The doc told me off for just stopping as I was for a good while x

• Posted

I have definitely got better on flu - but not 100 % yet x I need my confidence back - still off work sick and I got two small children .
    • Posted

Same here! Two young kids and having to try and cope with all this going on too. I've only been on it 9 days, so that's why she said it should be okay just go stop, but that goes against everything I've ever heard?

Hope you get back to 100% soon xx

• Posted

Thank you Kirsty . Hope u Get better too . My anxiety rocketed with fluoxetine . It was hell at first - only felt better week 8 I think 🙀

• Posted

Hi Kirsty,

ive done it twice, came off endep waited two weeks, started on cipramil was ok doing switch. I was only on low dose of endep, so switching wasnt too hard. Dr then said cipramil doesnt seem to do much for you, come off go back to endep on higher dose.

then in November 16' i felt like i was going to lose it, so went back to dr and asked for lovan, again i waited for two weeks then took first tab. I was nervous of taking it of course, thats nornal i think. I needed endep for nerve pain and was worried the pain would be back, so far its ok.

yes i felt worse after starting lovan (prozac) im now waiting for the magic moment when i start to feel improvement. I take 40 mg. i think dr took me off cipramil too soon as i had used that successfully for a long time.

im not going to switch too soon again.

i was told to stop one and take new tab straight away but i decided to wean off one before starting another, id rather do that, wait then start anew.

you only have a small amount in your system, so switching for you should be ok, expect to feel a bit odd though thats normal too. Have someone stay with you for the adjustment, that helps alot.

good luck,

🌷

• Posted

Thank you for your reply. I think I'm going to stick at the Prozac a little longer. The sickness that comes with it is awful from about 4am - 10/11am, I'm praying this stops?!!! The doctor said the sickness is something which cannot be avoided and all antidepressants have that side effect at first? X

• Posted

Hi Kirsty -I thought I was like having g morning sickness lol ( not sure if have children )It will last a few weeks yet.
    • Posted

I do, and that's exactly how I explained it to my mum. It's awful isn't it. I know I have to preservere but it's so hard isn't it?! X

• Posted

Hi yes ive often felt the nuasea was like pregnancy in the mornings, what i didnt know was serotonin is created in the gut, thats why there is always upset tummys. Im sure i read that, so much info on the net. If we up our doses we will get a new set of side effects. Some will go and a new one will pop up, but please keep in touch with your dr, or chemist. Ive called my chemist a couple of times for reassurance. If you drink alchohol that may affect prozac too! Take it day by day or hour by hour, divert your mind if you can. Oh and dark choccy in small amounts lol not whole bars, try n get good quality cocoa with less sugar in it. Warm milk at night it has tryptophan in it as does chocolate, may help you nod off to sleep.

x🌸

• Posted

I remember those weeks, no fun at all, couldn't even think about food till about 11 or 12, I think a lot of people get that side effect, it's tough and it lasts a few weeks, my morning nausea started to get better at about week 5 or 6, and now I have zero

• Posted

What a relief to hear yours has gone completely!! I can't wait! I can't even bare tea at the moment, roll on that changing! X

• Posted

Thank you for your kind words. I went to the doctors today and he's changed my meds, I had a manic episode last night and pulse was racing so I knew something was seriously wrong with me using this med! He's also prescribed me with sickness pills, so I can hopefully get some sleep. I'm hoping this will be a better fit for me xx

• Posted

Glad you got sorted . What has the doctor put you on ? Are u being weaned off ?
    • Posted

Three days off of the Prozac (he said as I was only on it 12 days that should be fine) I then start 15mg of Mirtazapine and have another appointment on the 20th to see how that's going. Sickness pills have meant I could actually eat without wretching today, the kids were starting to wonder why mummy was always being sick! X

• Posted

Aw I see x glad u can eat now . Not heard of that tablet and I've been on couple over the years.I ve lost weight too . Th tablets and anxiety have a lot to do with it . The weight is very slowly going back on which is good as I've not got much too spare lol

• Posted

Not one I'd heard of either, he said it's more towards anxiety/ depression rather than depression, he said he's chosen it as I had such extreme side effects and hopefully this one won't do the same, it a relief to know I have those anti-sickness pills if it does though!

I'm with you on the weight thing, I don't want to lose any more, my boobs are non existent now!! X

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.