Will this swelling ever go down???

Posted , 8 users are following.

I had posted the other day that I had and I ankle stabilization surgery five weeks ago today actually and for some reason the swelling which seems to only be on the top of my foot which I find very strange just will not subside it does not get better and all it has been exactly the same since day one doctor  has not given me any medications or further instructions just noting that it can take some time for the swelling to decrease I'm just having a hard time excepting the fact that the swelling is on the top of my foot and that it has not improved at all I'm hoping  and praying that someone else has had this experience I feel like I'm  going out of my mind I don't know where else to turn.  I really need to get back to my life I  I can't function in the postop shoe it just is so uncomfortable not to mention there's a foot and a half of snow outside and it's 5° LOL.  Does anyone have any ideas on what I might be able to put on my foot?  Also I mentioned as well that At my check up last week my doctor said that the wound had opened up again so he put some new butterfly stitches on took off the old ones and pulled off the scab.  Also told me that I could no longer get it wet again so now I'm back to no showers this is totally not what I had expected I really feel like it's never going to get better like this was a mistake  it's the holiday season and I am completely depressed I hate being dependent on other people  has anyone offered from either one of these issues that can offer maybe some additional tricks that can help me get over this hump? I really am at my wits endcry I do see the doctor tomorrow and if there's anything additional I should be suggesting maybe that anyone else may have tried please let me know so I can bring it out during the visit tomorrow thank you very much for reading and I have a good night

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Angela the swelling will eventually go down. And I know exactly how u feel... I hate depending on people and I am also depress. When I am around the house I just keep my foot elevated and put Ice on it. I hardly use that boot it. Is too uncomfortable so I know what u mean. I rented a knee scooter for 1 month and that had help with going out in cold. So you are not taking any medicine?
  • Posted

Adult colouring book. Elevate leg. Wear a plastic bag taped over leg up to knee to shower, hold in place with duct tape, and use a towel at top just under plastic.

Good prescribed pain meds.

Watch TV, movies or games on device.

It will get easier. I still have swelling in my ankle, from a snapped fibula 15 months ago, but it doesn't hurt. Knee scooter could help with independence and mobility. Try very wide sports shoes. Try wide bases for end of crutches. Look in you messages.

@(*+*)@

• Posted

Can you ask about a compression sock?? Sounds like edema.
  • Posted

My swelling went down in week 6 or 7, but oddly it is back in week 14! I know how you feel… I also have no idea now… The only thing that may help is elevating … I don’t know if ice also help now or not, but both heating and icing may help, I m not sure …

I also want to know why this is back again!?

For showering Wear a plastic bag up to knee to shower, hold in place with duct tape.

I recommend you, to wear your boot, although it’s uncomfortable, but wear it. Because one may regret it so much if any accident happens.

• Posted

This new swelling of mine is also is on top of the foot, & sometimes in inside of ankle! Which is different part of surgery, the surgery was lateral ankle stabilization! I really don’t know what to do?

• Posted

Hi Angela. I didn't have ankle stabilisation surgery but had a broken ankle, in three places, so had surgery and was non-weight bearing and in a cast for just under seven weeks. Although my surgery was different I too have swelling on the top of my foot which I find really odd. Both sides of my ankle swell too but overnight the sides go back to normal but the top never does. It's weird because technically it was the leg bones right at the bottom that were affected, not my foot. So I totally understand how you feel.

I'm three months post surgery and it's like that daily for me. I'd have to stay on my back with my foot elevated all the time to stop it. Which just isn't viable. But when I can I keep it up. Also try and drink as much water as possible.

Is there a reason you can't shower? Are you able to put your leg in a cover or bag and shower that way? Has he told you how long you will be like that? What is the post op shoe like? Is it similar to a moonboot or different?

Fingers crossed it gets easier. Big hugs.

• Posted

Buy a surgical leg sleeve that will cover over your knee. Made of heavy plastic, and has a rubber collar.  Works well, I have used it for ten weeks.  Also, ice will help and elevating will help.  I had fusion eight months ago, still have swelling if I do much of anything.  It is frustrating, I was very active, like to work out and golf but very limited now.  I will have TAR in February, so another lengthy recovery.  
  • Posted

I am 14wks post op and still havve swelling on top, i was told to do stretching exercises like pushing my foot down and hold and then pulling up towards me, also take bottled water and put in freezer and when frrozen use to roll your foot on, guess this increases the blood flow. you realize all healing in the foot can take up to a year, so hang in and we know your concerns

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.