Will this tiredness ever stop?

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hi all, I was prescribed this as a 20mg dose last wednesday for post natal depression which has come on slowly since my daughter was 5 monhts old.

After the feeling of sickness had disappeared after 1 day I was in a state of mild euphoria for a couple of days. However since Sunday I have been so tired and yawning all day that I am now considering stopping the dose or taking it at about 4 pm when its time to go home. I am still at work and have quite a responsible job which means that I need all my faculties about me most of the time. :?

Can anyone tell me if this tiredness will stop please and when its likely to? I'm too tired to be depressed anymore so in a way its worked already!! I have two children under two 1/2 so need to be alert at home too.

Also, why cant we take alcohol at the same time? I dont drink often but we're going away in a weeks time and I'd love to be able to have a glass of wine occassionally.

Many thanks in advance. smile

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi there, regarding the tiredness, i was exactly the same. I was warned and booked two weeks leave from work and slept and slept. Slowly all my energy started coming back and i felt like the person i used to be before. I would suggest you give into this and take time to heal. I can honestly say a year after i started (no longer on it) it saved my life. Good luck! : :D :D
  • Posted

My hubby was EXTREMELY tired for the first couple of weeks but it did pass. As has just been mentioned it really is a life saver. He has got all his personality back and enjoys life rather than endures it. About the alcohol, sorry but it's a big NO NO as it does make things much, much worse and can actually make symptoms out of control.

You can look forward to your holiday as being stress free as hopefully by then the drug will have kicked in and you'll be able to relax.

• Posted

I have been on citalopram for 4 years now, taking 40mg/day at present. My dr has told me that it is OK to drink alcohol whilst on them, and I can't say I have ever had a problem with it! I have been told that I am likely to have to take them for life, so don't want to give up alcohol permanently!!
  • Posted

I've been taking Citalopram for 12 weeks and have four children, the tiredness does go, don't stop taking the tablet without clear instructions and reduced dosage from your doctor.

Also, I asked my doctor about alcohol and she said \"a glass of wine every now and then wasn't problem\". I think some people prescribed anti-depressants have previously used alcohol as a means of \"cheering up\" so I think the no alcohol thing is aimed more at heavy or binge drinkers.

Before you take any action though just book in to see your doctor, one of the things in there is about ibuprofen but again asked my quack and she said I could take them for two, three days when I suffer with that time of the month!!!!!

Hope this was helpful.

• Posted

I started to take citalopram last sunday. I feel tired and a bit numb.

I think this is cos of the amount of time you feel depressed and not the medication.

Its a relief to get some help after trying to struggle on, on my own and trying to fool myself/everyone everything of okay.

My husband is very supportive and so far the only side effects I've had is my brain feeling numb and my eyesight is a bit blurred.

I'm a bit worried about gain weight, as I put on to much weight after comfort eating. So far I've lost 3pound and I hope this continues.

I was on citalporam last year for about 5 months but I had a sickness bug and all the pills came back up for about 6 months and like a fool I didn't carry on taking them when I felt better.

I'm going to take these for as long as I can cos I do feel better when I'm on them and all I want to do is feel normal and get on with making the most of my life.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.