Will TURP be outdated and Will Prostate Artery Embolization be the accepted way to treat BPH

Posted , 19 users are following.

I ve had BPH for about two years and now it's getting worse. I'm only on alfuzosin and not anything else.

Alfuzosin effectiveness seems to be declining and I would be a candidate for TURP. However I am hoping and waiting for PAE to be offered in Canada. Hopefully in the next few years. Is this a strategy that anyone else has thought of?

0 likes, 52 replies

52 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

For a long time TURP was considered the "gold standard" for BPH treatment.

Some people still think it is but with so many new methods of treatment out there, many men choose to do (CIC) Clean intermittent catheterization to empty their bladder until such time as a treatment they are comfortable with is available to them.

A lot of men don't like the possible side effects of TURP.

Regards,

Raffie

• Posted

I'm holding out hope for one of the injectable drugs to work really well and get FDA approval

• Posted

Don't we all? Just pop a pill or get an injection and you're good right? I doubt that will ever happen. I have high hopes for the TULSA Pro procedure. It's new but promises to also safely remove any mass/tumor within the prostate, while leaving the rest of the gland in tact.

• Posted

Just went to The Tulsa Pro website. it looks like the procedure involves going through the penis to access the prostate. Is that correct?

Rich

• Posted

richp21: Yes, that is correct. Once the probe is in the penis and at the prostate, the urethra is cooled while ultrasound is sent out to destroy tissue within the prostate. The nice part about it is that certain areas known to contain cancer tumors can be targeted with multiparametric MRI while the probe is in place so other areas of the prostate can be spared. The rectum is also cooled during the process so there is no damage there either. It is MRI guided so it is a very precise method of prostate tissue and tumor ablation. I can't wait to consult with the doctor at UCLA that performs the procedure.

• Posted

vernon, look up topsalysin and Fexapotide triflutate then cross your fingers that they're on to something

• Posted

Generic name: fexapotide triflutate Previous Name: NX-1207 Company: Nymox

Unfortunately:

Despite encouraging data shared earlier by Nymox Pharmaceutical Corp., a pair of phase III studies with NX-1207 for benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH), known as NX02-0017 and NX02-0018, failed to meet their primary endpoints in top-line results, and the company blamed a strong placebo response – stronger than was seen in previous experiments.

"The drug got to where we expected it to, but the placebo was not sufficiently distant from it," said CEO Paul Averback during a conference call with investors after the markets closed. "There are a number of approaches that people take to try and dampen placebo effect, by run-ins and this sort of thing," he added, but none were attempted in these two studies, known as NX02-0017 and NX02-0018.

There are some positive aspects (improvement in IPSS score) but the drug does not appear like it's going to fix BPH for good.

Topsalysin:

Cool video from the makers of topsalysin :

It shows topsalysin being activated by PSA (that's what makes it so prostate-specific) and then shows it boring a hole in a prostate cell causing it to die by leaking out its contents (lysis).

Seems like it's mostly being targeted to prostate cancer.

Sophiris is the company that's developing it:

As previously stated, a total of 27% of patients (10/37) demonstrated a clinical response six months following a single administration of topsalysin.

(That was for PCa. I didn't find much discussion about topsalysin for BPH.)

Doesn't appear it's going to be a knock-it-out-of-the-park drug either.

Moderator comment: I have removed the link(s) directing to site(s) unsuitable for inclusion in the forums. If users want this information please use the Private Message service to request the details.

• Posted

Not sure if my previous message is going to pass moderation because it had a lot of source links, so while I'm thinking about, what I found is this:

Topsalysin did no better than a placebo in clinical trials.

Fexapotide triflutate has a great mechanism of action in that it is a protein that is activated by PSA and punches holes in prostate cells causing them to leak out their contents and die.

A patient died during clinical trials, but an autopsy pointed to a bad coincidence in that he apparently died of a heart attack. Even so, it delayed the investigation until it could be sorted out.

The drug seems mainly geared to PCa, not BPH, although theoretically is should work because it is specific to prostate cells. One article I saw says that it is getting close to being approved in Europe.

• Posted

I mixed up the names in my last post. Fexapotide triflutate is what did no better than placebo in clinical trials.

Topsalysin is the drug that is activated by PSA and bores holes into prostate cells. It's the drug that might be approved in Europe.

• Posted

Sophiris Bio is a penny stock, which trades at 50 cents a share. It’s ticker is SPHS.

YTD it’s lost over 50% in value, which tells me that the prospects for Topsalysin are not be all that great.

• Posted

They both seem to be working on FDA and European approval. Since I'm still doing well on my assorted drugs I'm holding out hope one of these drugs or something similar will come along.

• Posted

And if they do offer it in another trial I'm going to try and participate

• Posted

I've had BPH for 10 years.Last year I had tumors in my liver embolized.It worked so well I asked if it could be done to my prostate. They said yes but mine is still too small for the procedure. They want at least 50 grams and mine was half that size. The embolization was a piece of cake. They ran a camera in from the artery in my wrist and killed the tumor cells. Sometimes they go in through the artery in your groin or thigh.But still a piece of cake.

• Posted

You mention BPH treatment but then allude to the fact that the embolization kills tumor cells. I was not under the impression that embolization could do that. Thanks for the tip.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.