Will using a stick help with spinal pain

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have spondulosis in my spine as well as osteoporosis and Fybromyalgia. I find when I go out I can't walk very far without coming home in agony.  I have problems with both my upper and lower spine and also recently been told I've got a couple of old breaks in the centre of my spine.  I keep wondering if using a walking stick would help with the pain and mean I could walk a bit further when out.  Can anyone help?

Kathleen

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Kathleen, I also have problems with my spine, and started  using a stick about 5 years ago which I did find helpful, the only problem being that after a while I would get pain in the hand using the stick. About a year ago I started using an elbow crutch instead of my stick, and that made a big difference. These days I still can't walk far without pain, but using my crutch helps, and helps my balance too. x

• Posted

Thank you Jeannie 

did you find it took the pressure off your spine and thus meaning the pain took longer to get quite so bad?

Kathleen x

• Posted

Hi Kathleen, ya just as Jeanne said it will help a little although my hands become very sore quickly. Have bilateral carpal tunnel syndrome and had surgery on one hand, waiting for the other one. Perhaps the elbow crutches may be better for you? At least we can get out for a short time as opposed to not function outside at all. Give yourself a regular breaks when mobile.

Hope this helps love

X

• Posted

Hi Mandy 

thankyou I only go around local shops for a while and come back in extra pain than normal.  PS what are elbow crutches?

Kathleen

• Posted

Just like the ones from hospital. They may take the pressure off hands.

You can get them online love

X

• Posted

Looked crutches up online I wouldn't be able to use those I also have a bad shoulder and crutches would be way to painful. x

• Posted

Hello, Kathleen, I have all the things you have plus PMR (polymyalgia rheumatica). I use a cane to walk and it helps a lot. I also got a walker with wheels. It helps me take more weight off my legs when walking and use the appropriate posture while walking. Never knew these diseases would be so disabling. Best wishes! Linda 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.