Will you ever be able to stand on your toes after bunion surgery?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello everyone,

I'm 26 years old and had both feet done, twice. The first surgery failed, and then 6 weeks later I had another one where I was inserted k-wires and then had them removed after 6 weeks. After 4 months of lying in bed and sitting in a wheel chair, I had to learn how to walk all over again. I am now doing physical therapy and see improvement after each session!

My question for all of you is: Are you able to stand on your toes after (maybe)some years later? It is even possible? I was never told about how hard recovery is and as former ballet dancer and yoga lover I can't help but worry. My physio told me it's a big NO which I can understand since I can't even bend the toes manually at this point. But will I NEVER be able to do it? Won't the bones heal enough to hold my body weight? It's so annoying because I started exercising a little and I can't do plank or lunges etc because my toes need to bend for these kind of exercises. Please share your experience with being active after bunion surgery, I really need to know how it is for you guys...

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Anna

Wow - I cant believe you went through this twice, once was bad enough! I had mine both done in November and at my six week discharge xrays it was discovered that there was a fracture in my right foot. Mine took a long time to heal. I can still now, (9 months on) only really wear flat shoes because to bend the toes in heels is too painful. I have just returned to exercise but I can only do certain things that dont require my toes to bend like running, I tried to do aerobics and anything that needs a lot of toe bending is too painful. Hope this is not too depressing for you - maybe you will have to change the type of exercise you do. You can do non weight bearing stuff like cycling or swimming.

Good luck xx

• Posted

Hi Sophie thank you for replying! It was a tough time for sure.. I am now almost 4 months post surgery (since the second one) and can at least walk for a while without pain.. I guess i'll have to be patient and see how much my physio can help. I really want to be optimistic that i'll be able to do it at one point in my life, even after 2-3 years!! Thank you!

• Posted

I had one bunion and two bunionettes (at little toes) done almost 4 months ago, with lots of metalwork embedded now in my feet. I am now able to stand on my toes and my physio has me doing so (gently) as one of my exercises. I could not imagine wearing high heeled shoes but have no desire to wear them anyway! I am back at Pilates class and go up (carefully and only a little bit at this stage) on my toes.

• Posted

Hello Helen! Wow that's great! Im almost 4 month post surgery but unfortunately since I couldn't move my big toes at all for so long, they became really stiff and won't bend..my physio basically told me that I won't be able to stand on my toes for at least a year unless I want another surgery. Probably because having two surgeries at such short time have caused a trauma to my bones and the surrounding tissue.. Ugh! I don't mind not wearing heels neither but i'll definitely want to at some point.. Thank you for replying and I wish you the best recovery!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.