Willpower alone?

Posted , 10 users are following.

Has anyone had sucess with giving up drink with willpower alone?

I drink about 2 or 3 bottles of wine a night and in the past have managed to get it down to half a bottle a night but usually not for very long so I want to stop altogether, forever.

I've really had enough of all the damage it's doing to my life and relationships and I managed to give up smoking with willpower alone.

If anyone has any experience or advice I love to hear about it.

Thanks

6 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I think I've only been able to stop for a full day as hadn't any money but as soon as I had money in my purse I would budget my vodka in the house keeping.so I'm not very good at trying to give up.
  • Posted

Hi Sherry, i know how you feel!, i nearly ruined my marriage and life when i was drinking Vodka, it bought out my hang ups and agression, when i look back i'm so ashamed at my actions, i'm amazed my husband is still with me!!. We have 3 beautiful girls and i felt so guilty for being so weak and wanting to drink every night!!. I started to get pain under my ribs and really bad heartburn, being in denial of the drink i had all the hospital tests done as i was bloating out and in pain everyday. My scare was when i had a check up on my gallbladder and she said my liver was fatty and desended!!, they sent me for an emergency MRI scan, that was it, i never touched any more Vodka to this day and that was last July!. I was terrible, moody, anxious, couldnt sleep, i drank like that for years so i was all over the place. All my symptoms disappeared, my skin cleared up, i lost a stone just through not drinking. But i gradually had the odd wine, which then crept up to every night again, mainly 1 bottle and sometimes 2 and all my symptoms have returned!!. So i know for me it has to be nothing as i can't just have a couple glasses!!. I'm no where near as bad as i was and i don't get agressive like i did on Vodka, but i feel bloated again and pain so i will have to find the will power to do it again!!!. Good luck in trying :-)
  • Posted

hELLO Sherry, I'm trying a similar  thing. I went "cold turkey" last year, and had terrible symptoms, anding up suicidal and in hospital. (I didn't know how dangerous it was to suddenly stop).....So, Cutting right down at present, to avoid withdrawl, and then my philosophy will be. "I'll have a beer when I feel like one, later". I can't convince myself to give up completely, as it seems an unrealistic goal, so thats why i'm going down the moderation route. Let me know how you are getting on. cheers, Howard.
    • Posted

Hello Howard. Well done for trying to cut down. Perhaps you will improve in 2015 and cut down more and more. Give your self some treats and perhaps go to the cinema (sober) or have a meal out or ice cream. I hope this makes sense since I stopped 2 yrs ago completely and did myself treats and it worked for me. Had too much to loose and have gained respect from the people who matter to me.
  • Posted

you seem to be at the point of really dis liking the drink .... what is it that makes you want to drink if deep inside you really dont want to?...im just curious, are you alcoholic, ?

I dont have suggestions, I only know what worked for me.....I got sick of being sick, and just went to meetings , admitted I had a problem, and realize that alcohol is pure poison....cant drink it because I drink WAYYYYY too much. my drink is vodka, and its very strong and I get ugly when I drink.

I hope if you see how poison it really is, you will give it up...

coffee, tea, exercising. anything to keep the alcohol at bay, and away..

I have 5 beautiful daughters that dont need to see thier mother waste her life away inside the bottle.... that was my decision, and I am very stubborn and strong willed, and I refuse to let that drink win me over.

you had the will power to quit smoking!!  thats wow!!!

good luck darlin

• Posted

hello i just want to say good luck with stopping but i really think you should go to your gp for help as i think it will be hard just willpower alone if its harming your relationship you should sort it now as you dont want to lose your family its not worth it and it will be much easier while you have there support i really hope you get sorted
    • Posted

Hi Stephen,

i agree with you. Having a program that u can live with that is especially designed for the individual needs is the best way to go. As many don't prepare for relapse on quitting on their own. 

There r many new methods available drugs are used to help with the cravings and other meds to stop the negativity that comes with addiction. It's a complex addiction and requires a professional to help get you on the right track to a alcohol free life. It well worth the time to find the right program for you to be successful.

• Posted

hi sherry, ive not had a drink since sunday its now tuesday, not long i know but i can go 2/3 weeks without feeling the need to have a drink. then all of a sudden its wham bam and i'm on it for 3/4 days non stop. this drinking has giving me another issue of gambling but i only gamble when im drinking and always online "hidden away so to speak" anyway im going to try and give up drink completely with willpower, personally for myself that wont be an issue short term. however it will be an issue in approx 2/3 weeks when i start getting the huge urge to have a pint or glass of wine. i'm going to use this site to help my own willpower when i reach that point. instead of drinking im gonna come on here. dont know if will work but ill let you know, heres hoping because like many its killing my marriage, my relationship with my two wee boys and of course my body
    • Posted

HI Jimmy. Well done so far and keep going. Gain the respect of your lovely family and look after your body. Obviously easier said than done but do try it and give yourself some treats you deserve or do something differently. smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.