Win the BV Battle! Fix what's causing it, not just the symptoms.

Posted , 20 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity.

In this discussion I'm going to post the four main reasons WHY bacerial vaginosis becomes chronic from the research I've done and my personal experience.

First, though, I'll start by saying that my battle with BV lasted about a year and it was one of the most difficult things I have ever had to deal with. It's not only irritating and sometimes painful but also psychologically draining trying to hide it from everyone and feeling dirty and like no one will understand. So, if you are currently battling BV I understand and I feel for you. BV is a BITCH. but there is hope!

I'm the kind of person who likes to find a solution as soon as a problem arises and is constantly asking the question why?. My problem of BV, unfortunately, took FOREVER to solve and that's mainly because the majority of doctors out there don't know how to fix Chronic BV (and still haven't done much to try and fix that problem even though it's more common than most people think!!)

What Bv reall is:

Bacterial Vaginosis first and fore most is not an "infection" it is and "imbalance" of the bacterial flora in the vagina. the kind of bacteria that causes the symptoms of Bv is present in every woman but is usually kept at a very low level because the beneficial bacteria in the vagina keep it in check. however, when the "good guys" are depleted for one reason or another the "bad guys" (ie.Garnerella) get to take over and cause issues. THIS is why antibiotics are so ineffective for so many woman with BV. 

Antibiotics not only kill the Bad bacteria but also the Good bacteria. If you're body is out of balance for one reason or another, the good bacteria has a harder time trying to repopulate your vagina and the bad bacteria now has another opportunity to flourish again. ugh! especially when the pH of the vagina becomes elevated, such as when you're on your period. 

So, in order to STOP CHRONIC BV we have to treat the cause of the problem and not just the symptoms. chronic issues can not be treated like acute infections. just taking more courses of antibiotics is not going to solve the issue and in fact is probably making the issue worse and harder to fight in the end because you're depleting your body of the beneficial immune boost good bacteria.

the four main reasons your body may be out of balance that have been linked to bv are:

1. Low vitamin D levels (I reccomend tanning, and taking a high quality supplement)

2. Hormone inbalance (particularly low progesterone)(dong quai root is great for hormone balancing)

3. Yeast overgrowth in the body (antifungals, coconut oid, garlic all help!)

4. imbalanced pH levels and overheated body (eating foods the cool the body down like cucumber. and drinking alkaline water with lemon in it)

the reason you have BV could be a combination of any of these things which is why something that may be a "MIRACLE CURE!" for one person isn't effective at all for the other. I reccomend looking up the symptoms of these things to see if any of them fit you so you can have an idea of what may be the best supplements for you to take. 

Personally, I went to a naturopathic doctor after way too many failed etempts with MDs and it was so worth it. (turns out i had a thyroid problem, low progesterone, low vit D and a yeast overgrowth.. basically everything linked with chronic bv. lol yay me. But at least i finally new WHY it was happening and i was able to understand my enemy and defeat it! lol) They listen to your entire medical history, info about your environment and lifestyle. They're willing to run the tests that many doctors deny you to see what the root of your problem really is.  if you can afford it I HIGHLY recommend having a consultation with an ND. that way you can take care of the root of the problem, and never have to worry about the bv bitch returning again!

I know this is long but I hope this helps someone at least understand BV instead of constantly asking why me? YOu're not crazy if the standard treatment isn't working on you. there is a reason and it isn't your fault that doctors don't understand how to help yet. 

My main peice of advice is to STAY POSITIVE. i know it's extremely hard but it can and it will get better. never stop trying to find your solution. and just breath. cry in the shower if you need to and know that you aren't alone and many other women have felt and know your pain.

7 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Thank you so much for these posts. It's so refreshing to know you're not alone / not crazy. I will be going to a naturopath in the next week or two. And any other updates you have, please share smile
    • Posted

Of Course! i'm glad i could be a voice of encouragement. I really hope the ND helps you because mine has helped me so much!

If you're looking for a quick fix to take care of it while your body does the work of repairing itself, I recommend boric acid capsuls that you can make yourself(very cheap treatment) as well as coconut oil. I personally use coconut oil and a ph balanced soap in the shower everyday! and if i do get a little symptoms every now and again I'll use boric acid for one or two nights and that takes care of it!

I'm still working on completely balancing my hormones which has proven difficult because lifestyle plays such a huge roll and I'm currently a college student with a crazy schedule. But the good news is that now that my body is closer to a place of homeostasis, if my symptoms do return at all they are very minor and managable within a day or so. It no longer rules my life! and I know once i balance my hormones more it won't even be a problem.

feel free to ask any other questions. and i wish you the best of luck!

• Posted

Hi,

I have suffered from this for four year reoccurring every 7 days - nightmare!

I've finally had one month clear - I've been taking zinc and vitamin c tablets as well as a 20 billion lactobacillus probiotic - all natural and no chemicals.

Take every day and let me know how you are.

I'm also a nurse so this would help me.

Thanks!

• Posted

Great article. I wish more people would post information on BV to help women cure this horrible problem. 

I want to add a little something that I've discovered in my battle with BV. After trying anything people recommended the only things that worked for me were, boric acid suppositories, d-mannose, and going gluten free.

The boric acid and d-mannose were great because they take'd away the symptoms within a half hour but they'd come back the same day or by the next day. After finding another post by someone talking about a link between BV and gluten I decided to give it a try. I went gluten free for about three days and had NO SIGN of BV. The fourth day I ate something and within an hour I was starting to feel the symptoms of BV again. I knew everything I ate was gluten free except I had put soy sauce on it. I looked at the soy sauce label and discovered it had gluten! That was a clear sign that it was indeed the gluten giving me BV. 

I've been gluten free for three months and free from the terrible symptoms of BV. 

When I slip up and have a little gluten I will use the boric acid suppository and d-mannose for quick relief. 

Because BV is caused by a ph imalance it is important to stay away from too much acidic food and beverages such as too much tomato sauce and alcohol. 

FIY: You can make your own boric acid suppositories. Purchase medical grade boric acid and empty capsuals then fill them yourself. I purchase mine on Amazon. Much cheaper then buying the ones already filled. I will insert one every twelve hours when I have a flare up. Make sure to wear a panty liner!

I really hope this helps some of you women. 

• Posted

Hi I just wanted to add what helped me!

I have had BV for 2 years, not sure what caused it but I think it was either the birth control pill or my bf's semen (he came in me for the first time after I started the pill). Sorry TMI.

Anyway, I have tried EVERYTHING, as I'm sure most of you have. But a couple of weeks ago I started the coconut oil and tee tree oil regimen. I melted coconut oil in a pot and added about 7 drops of tea tree and mixed it together. I poured the mixture into an ice tray and placed it in the fridge. This method hardens the oil making it solid so its easier to insert in the vagina.

I did this 2 days before my period and continued to do it til the end of my period. Once my period was completely over, I stopped the coconut oil and tea tree regimen. I waited a day for my vagina to recover from the harshness of the anti-fungals, then the next day I douched with L. Acidophilus (a pill that I have crushed up) mixed with DISTILLED water. I read that faucet water contains chlorine and has a different Ph than distilled water so I recommend using distilled water.

I did this for 2 days. On the third day right now, have a certain but very faint smell, not sure if it's the pill or BV? Right now the discharge has completely gone away and the smell almost completely, there is a faint smell of something. I will give an update in 2 days!

I felt that this method makes sense.

I killed the bacteria that was overgrowing in my vagina, as well as the good bacteria, with coconut oil and tea tree. Then I repopulated the environment with L. Acidophilus, the good bacteria that keeps the bad under control.

For those of you who haven't found relief, give this a try!

• Posted

Thank you for posting! I could not figure out why I got BV until I read your post. I have estrogen and testosterone bioidenticle hormone implants that are time released over three months, and I have been lackadaisical in taking my progesterone pills at night. My gynecologist told me it was obvious by the lining of my uterus that I have not been taking my progesterone pills properly. However she did not let me know that may have also caused my BV. Thanks to your information, I'm going to be motivated even more to take my hormones every night like I'm supposed to!

• Posted

Hi

Thank you for writing this

Where did you find a Naturopathic Doctor???

Thanks !!

• Posted

thanks...its so true...on Vit D now....i was told eat yogurt and drink plenty of water...i was also were given something call hylafem..it helps...to me when u use the pills and cream so much your body is use too it and wasnt working...2months FREE....THANK GOD...this had me to give up on SEX but she told me it didnt come from sex....i was trying everything to lose weight too...i was saying i was to big was the reason too.....good luck
  • Posted

Hey bee18 I've been battling with a chronic bv infection for over 3months now and it's extremely upsetting. This post gives me some hope! I recently finished a prescription of antibiotics which I dont think help😔 I wanted to ask where your located? I need a good doctor, not one that's going to brush it off like no big deal and continue to give me drugs that are a temporary fix. I tried going to a holistic doctor and the oral drops he gave me only made me dizzy. Id like to try and take the homeopathic route if possible! (Even trying acupuncture next week) Anything at this point! Feeling extremely frustrated and defeated!!

• Posted

Hi Bee18,

would you mind sending me in a private message as you have done for tons of other gals on the products you use for the 3-prong approach ecological.  Have suffered with IC and pelvic floor disease and I wonder if your product mentionables would help that.  Thank you so much in advance!!  Allyson

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.