Wiped out after 1 x 10mg amitryptiline

Posted , 7 users are following.

Prescribed these for silent migraine.  Very dubious so didn't take at first.  Took first one 6.30 pm by 9pm couldn't keep eyes open fell asleep on.  My husband woke me for bed very confused what's going on around me.  Slept like a log had no idea my family had left for work.   Kept waking and falling asleep. Finally got up at 11.30 (bear in mind I'm normally an early bird) felt  awful heavy head and feel sick just want to close eyes.   Will this pass? Do I carry on taking them? I don't know am so fed up with feeling poorly since last September.  Don't even really know if  believe it's Silent migraine.   Private neurologist says yes  NHS neurologist didn't mention it at all just said my brain isn't functioning correctly and told me to look on you tube at vestibular excersises.  Just want to feel like the old me bright and full of life.   

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Your body will adjust to it after a bit. I started on 10mg also for vestibular migraines and now take 20mg. It took about 3-5 days to get used to it
  • Posted

Well.. it is a sedative which you should have been told. I'm on 25mg and take it just before bed. it gives me about an hour before it knocks me out. Did you do a bit of research before taking? In the first week it can give a mild depression symptoms (it did to me) but maybe you're reaction is different. I'd take it for a week and see whether there's anything different after that.

• Posted

My doctor said it would help with anxiety too,which I have, but I didn't feel any worse mood wise

• Posted

Hi Lelly

​I was prescribed Ami 10mg for sleep/IBS.  I started taking it 2 weeks ago. The first time I took it 10mg, I had a similar reaction. I think 10mg dose is too high to start with. I cut mine in half and take 5mg each night. After a few days I got used to them. I take mine about 3 hours before bed. Doctor advised this, then you will not be too groggy next morning.  

​Hope this helps, best wishes

• Posted

10 mg?

I was on about 12 but recently stopped. Wow, all my energy back today!! I adjusted to it but tried to increase and was exhausted and started getting constapated.

• Posted

I used to be on this medication and yes , i too felt like this for a week or so. I  always had a good nights sleep and could easily go 12 hours. I too took it no later than 7 pm so not to be too groggy the next day. x Hope it helps your migraines. x
  • Posted

Been off 2 days, cant sleep at all!

Back to natural bowl movements again, so that's a relief!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.