Wisdom Extraction - Pain on other side - Nothing Works

Posted , 4 users are following.

On Friday around 4 PM I have my two left wisdom teeth extracted.  Neither was impacted both had a lot of decay etc. but the entire procedure took less than 2 minutes after the local anastetic kicked in.  It has been 60 hours since the procedure......... I have had almost no pain on th eleft side of my mouth however the right side of my mouth has been in a great amount of pain ever since.  I cannot sleep..  I have tried Vicodin, Percocet, IBuprofen 800, Sensodyne on the gums, Orajel on the gums, minced garlic oil on the gums, Ice............. rincing my mouth with salt water, and cold water.  The only thing that has provided any amount of relieve is holding water in my mouth on the right side of my mouth constantly which obviously doesn't work as a solution for trying to go to sleep.  I am going to call my dentis in a few hours when they finally reopen but I'm supposed to work in 3 and 1/2 hours and have had maybe 8 hours of sleep since friday.  Does anyone have any idea why the right side of my mouth would be in such pain after having wisdom teeth removed from the left side? My guess is that I have an infection or it could be a cavity or possibly something to do with two crowns i have on the right side of my mouth and swolen gums............. something like this I have no real idea.  The actual wisdom extraction spot feels fine........ so this is very perplexing.  Most importantly any advice for pain relief that might actually allow me to catch a few hours of sleep would be great.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Sounds like dry socket. That's when the scab falls off too early, exposing the bone underneath. Most dentists will prescribe antibiotics to protect the bone from infection.

You have all my sympathy - I had this myself once, so know just how painful it is. However, it won't go on for ever. Just tell your dentist everything you've said here.

• Posted

You had dry socket where the pain you experienced was on the opposite side of your mouth from where you had the extraction.
    • Posted

Sorry David, I misread your original post. In this case it's more likely that the pain is due to minor damage to your jaw joint, from holding your mouth open. Once again, tell your dentist about it.

• Posted

Actually Lily the dry socket is caused when the blood clot (not the scab) that is formed gets dislodged from the socket and exposes the nerve (not the bone). This causes a great deal of pain. The dentist can put in the socket a tiny roll of guaze that's been soaked in oil of clove and that will instantly stop the pain. I know you were trying to help and you almost had it right. Just wanted you to know all the details for next time. smile

• Posted

ask the dentist to repack the sockets with medicine to help it heal better

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.