Wisdom Teeth help I'm very afraid

Posted , 5 users are following.

I had my wisdom teeth removed this morning about 9 hours ago and I woke up in the middle of the surgery and I was freaking out and told them to stop, I was very drugged and was very emotional. I was supposed to get all 4 removed but I woke up after 2. It was a very scary experience. I have had gauze in my mouth most of the day because it's been bleeding all day. There is a hole where my tooth was and that's why I'm scared, I can see the stitches crossing the hole and I don't know if it's supposed to be like that. Please somebody respond

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

thats normal they hole is where the tooth was before it was pulled out they use the stiches to seal up the hole and help the mouth heal be sure to follow the dentist rules in how to care for your mouth so it can heal
  • Posted

Of course there's a hole.  There used to be a tooth there but now it's gone.  That's normal. It takes a long time, but it will heal over.  Just be sure you rinse your mouth very, very well after eating so that no food gets stuck in the hole.  You don't want that.  I woke up during my surgery too.  I remember being in a heavy fog but aware enough to know my jaw was being drilled.  I remember saying "Ow. Ow." and the surgeon saying "she's coming out of it".  Then I was out again.  I woke up sobbing and sobbing but I didn't know why because I wasn't sad.  I was told that people either wake up sobbing or laughing.  The amount of stress you have prior to surgery may play a role.  It doesn't sound like you have anything to worry about.  When you have your remaining teeth pulled, try to relax.  You'll be fine.  Now you know what to expect.  The mystery is gone.

• Posted

Ok thanks so much for replying, I feel much better now. Ive had gauze in my mouth all day, changing it every hour or so but it seems like it just won't stop bleeding. I was told that the bleeding would stop only a few hours later but it's been almost 12 hours now

• Posted

I like to use tea bags instead of gauze. It has something in it that's helps to clot and it taste better then gauze. I have met one person who did not like the taste so give it a try if your still bleeding. And just one word of caution, someone told you to be sure to rinse your mouth out real good to get the food out of the socket well I don't necessarily agree with that at least not the first week. I think by doing that early on you run the risk of getting a dry socket and you do not want that. You want to be very careful with the socket because there's a blood clot that forms in the bottom of the socket that protects the nerve ending. If that blood clot dislodges it exposes the nerve and then what you get a dry socket and that dry socket is extremely painful. There's a simple treatment for it but it has to be done at the dentist office. And it always seems to happen over a weekend when the dentist is closed and they can't do it in the emergency room. So just saying to be extra careful no sucking through straws if you smoke try not to smoke or smoke as little as you can at least the first 48 hours. If a dry sockets going to happen it's most likely going to happen in the first week. Take care of yourself and take care of your mouth.

• Posted

Thanks for the advise I actually quit smoking about a month ago which is going great so far so thank u for replying
    • Posted

Congratulations on your stopping smoking. I quit 11 years ago this July. One thing you might consider doing is looking for a program online that will count your months and then years for you and then it will send you reminders on your anniversaries. I did that and at first it'll send you weekly reminder then monthly reminders and eventually then yearly reminders. It's pretty cool to be able to have something remind you of how good your doing. I don't get the reminders anymore because it's been so long. I don't remember the website that I went to but I'm sure there are several.

• Posted

amkoffee may be right aboutt rinsing too soon.  It's been a long time since I had my wisdom teeth removed and I may be remembering wrong.  This is a good reason to check with your doctor when you have questions.  Follow your surgeon's instructions carefully.  Since you're probably not eating solids foods, food lodging in the holes wouldn't be an issue.  However, I do remember, I had to rinse my mouth vigorously until my gums completely healed to keep food particles out of the holes.    Good luck.  You'll be fine.  Get the other pulled and you'll be a happy camper.

• Posted

Ok thanks I feel much better because of you guys I was really emotional earlier
    • Posted

remember you  dont want to rinse untill the area has clotted also dont rinse to hard or you will dislodge the clot

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.