Wisdom tooth removal under GA

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi all

I am due to have my lower right wisdom tooth removed next weekend under a general anaesthetic. I am terrified of being put under. I have had some problems with my thyroid recently and it has caused me to be anxious and have a racing heart, at times. I have been taking rescue remedy to help as the Dr agreed that I didn't need anxiety meds - all should sort out when my levels (for thyroid) are more stable. The consultant ran an ecg on Wednesday and that was normal.

I saw the consultant on Wednesday and told him I was taking rescue remedy and he never said a thing but at my pre-op the next day the nurse said that they usually advise people to stop taking herbal remedies two weeks before. She then went on to say I could keep taking rescue remedy but nothing else. Has anyone else had rescue remedy before a general?

I'm terrified that I won't wake up from being put under or that I will have a reaction to the anaesthetic. I have had a general before but I was only 7 at the time. I'm just sensitive to meds which is making me worry.

Any help, advice etc would be welcomed.

Thanks

Louise

1 like, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

I can relate to yours anxiety over dental surgery. If you are having this procedure in the office they probably will use a less deep anesthetic than if you were to have abdominal surgery for example. Call and speak to the nurse and ask exactly what they use. it might what is called twilight sleep, where you are barely asleep but don't remember anything or have pain. Please ask them, you are not the first nervous patient they have had. also I'm sure the dentist wants you calm and not jumping out of the chair while he/she works, so you will be given just enough for this procedure. So try to be brave and trust that they know what they are licensed to do. I had a root canal about 10 days ago with local anesthesia only and it was not bad at all, far, far less than my mind imagined it. write back and let us know how it went. good luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.