With posterior hip replacement when can you sleep without pillow btw legs

Posted , 12 users are following.

Sorry for a second topic today but as a general rule with posterior hip replacement when can we sleep without pillow btw our legs.?. 6 weeks post op and struggle worrying bout it getting dislodged during my sleep.

2 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hi Thomas,

I was afraid not to sleep without a pillow between my legs.  However, I finally did it.  I’m 22 weeks thru posterior THR.  I do not recall what week I stopped, but it was about the time as you.  Maybe some other replies will satisfy you.  Good luck!

Steve

• Posted

I was told at post op check up that when I fell asleep with a pillow between my legs and woke up without it, I did not need it any more. Think it was about 12 weeks
  • Posted

I’m not a great person to go by as I was sleeping back on my tummy before 4 weeks. Think I managed 5 days on my back before lying on unoperated side, ditched those bloody support stockings within 2 weeks as found they really annoyed me at night. 

Hope you get it sorted ASAP 🙂

• Posted

Hi I am 12 days posterior thr, the hospital never told me to sleep with a pillow between my legs they just told me to sleep on my back for 6 weeks.

I understand it's a pain in the butt to be on your back all night .

• Posted

I wasn’t told to sleep on my back or to have a pillow between my legs. I had a posterior approach. No one in hospital had any sort of wedge or pillow. I wonder why there is so much variance in advice.
  • Posted

I was told by both the hospital and my therapist to use the pillow for three months. At about 10 weeks I was waking up with the pillow on the floor, so I decided that was close enough. Therapist agreed. Good luck!
  • Posted

Never had to do that. Posterior and just 6 weeks on my back but a few times I did wake up on my side 
  • Posted

Never had to do that. Posterior and just 6 weeks on my back but a few times I did wake up on my side 
  • Posted

Hi there, I had my pillow in between my legs for a good 3 months. After 12 weeks of physio and the muscles getting stronger, that restriction was pulled away. My surgeon still does not want me to sit and cross my legs.

• Posted

When the doctor says you don’t need to. It necessary for the bone to grow and secure the new implant components.  Try a head rest used in airplanes to support head and  neck and prop that pillow in place listen to fav music , or YouTube sleep tunes or a voiced story and you’ll be out in no time. Fresh sheets and blankets all help I love to put lavender oil on my pillow. Nice OTC sleep aide and boom lights out. It’s really a training technique . See the wellness technique to sleep on utube. 
  • Posted

Thanks for your input..i have been able to get 3_4 hours max then it becomes achy and stiff..assuming that is normal 6 weeks post op..
  • Posted

Hi Thomas

I wast told 6  weeks.

After the initial sleeping on your back it was great to be able to sleep on the side again.

All the best.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.