Withdrawal

Posted , 7 users are following.

Cold Turkey up to 20 days without a drink, been used to 60 units per day for 10+years still get agitated, panicky poor sleep a drink would be good got a headache how do you get through this discomfort

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

It's not cold turkey. That is just the first few days when you stop drinking and bear the withdrawal symptoms which, incidentally, can be very dangerous.

This is the Alcohol Deprivation Effect as described by Dr David Sinclair. Once a person has been physically dependent on alcohol and then stops drinking, the body craves and this craving can be severe. This is the reason that a lot of people are unable to remain abstinent. Sinclair devised an effective treatment method (The Sinclair Method) to allow people to overcome this issue.

You can find out more at:

https://patient.info/health/sinclair-method-for-alcohol-use-disorder

and by googling 'The Sinclair Method.'

• Posted

HI there. Paul did a very good and professional reply. Mine would be that it takes a long time to drop from 60 units per days to zero and not to feel strange, uncomfotrable or a heavy headache..well done so far! Robin
  • Posted

Try downloading ''alcohol lied to me'' its free and has really helped me this week. I read the whole thing in one day and i swear to God its one of the best things i have ever read about this problem.

I am doing cold turkey as well but also attending an addictions clinic, have you spoke to your doctor? Try walking, anything physical that will take your mind of it. These things also boost your mind...Remind yourself if you can that you have DONE SO WELL to be off it for this long without what it sounds like much help. Seriously well done!

• Posted

You just keep going. Take some head aches tablets. Don't DRink. Well Done

• Posted

No idea where my post went from yesterday.

I know a big part of detox is VITAMINS such as folic acid..and B12.

They always give that to me in the hospital.

You will be surprised at how much better you will feel....Even after 2 months of not drinking...my Dr. has prescribed Folic Acid and B12 and a multivitamin.

These things are known for helping the brain and also things like agitation and depression.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.