Withdrawal am over the worst....

Posted , 6 users are following.

Over 2.5 weeks in and am over the worst, slow tapers definitely shorten the withdrawal time. Felt much better a few days back, thought it could just be a window and possibly could still be. Nausea, nightmares, dizziness and all the other stuff has gone, and am having my first taste of feeling normal since mid April. Am so used to feeling rubbish am sure as time goes on I will notice other improvements, the biggest ones at the moment is my eyesight.,teeth, gums and neuro symptoms disappearing.

Best wishes to all out there coming off these, you are not alone.

0 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi there,, there's many side affects to Amatriptalin,,, when I'm a sleep, I do tend to kick out a lot,, memory loss have to think very hard at times,, and went to the doctors about it,, and guess what he said,, it's the medication I'm on,, 50mg Amatriptalin,, 8tramodol a day, Oramorph, 8 Cocodomol,, a day, progabalin, 500mg a day,, Diazapam, 5mg,a day, etc,, so all the symptoms are linked to me being forgetful,, etc, so your not alone hun,, and yes I think it's the Amatriptalin,,, been on it 6years now,, hope this puts your mind at rest,,, x

• Posted

I am also weaning off Amitriptyline. This is my fourth try to get off. I only took 10mgs for about eight years. I suffer from loss of memory and very dry eyes. I have gone down to about 6mgs in the last two months, am taking my fine time getting off. Went too fast the other three attempts and at 5mgs I could not function.  I went back up to 10mgs and everything settled down. So far I am doing o.k. My sleep is not that great but I take .25mgs of klonopin (clonazepam) and that helps. I am determined to get off this time, even if it takes a year. My advice to Paule would be to go back to 10mgs and then taper down real slow. I think that it might be worth it. 
    • Posted

Hi Charlene, thank you for your message, I am definitely not going back on these in a million years.  My side effects are nothing now compared to the mass of symptoms I used to have.

Like you I struggled coming off them, so I went to the doctors and they gave me liquid amitryptline and the pharmacist gave me a tiny syringe and helped me work out the dosages, and I weaned myself of the last 5mgs in tiny amounts and still got side effects but they disappeared after 2.5 weeks.  The final bit a month ago was tough, but right now I am feeling more normal than I have in years.  Good luck with your tapering.

• Posted

Thank you babytank, yes regarding the side effects, unfortunately my doctors mistook them for other health problems, it was myself that realised after 3 years that it was the meds, up to that point I had put all my trust in my doctors, but when I was rushed into a ct scan for a suspected brain bleed, because my symptoms were getting worse and worse, I suddenly realised that my symptoms were increasing as my meds were increased and the rest is history.  Long story short there is nothing wrong with me and I do not need any meds, imagine how angry and upset I was, I lost alot in my life because of this.
  • Posted

Hi Paula and thanks for your last message. Can I ask did you feel like you were experiencing any mental anxiety in your life from external factors etc at the same time you were on AMI since all of these doctors try to say its health anxiety and not the drug? I don't believe the drs, but just wanted to ask you if you felt any anxiety that was not related to and/or induced by the drug if you know what I mean just to help me feel validated again it helps. Also, I could not find the link to private message you, so whenever you can maybe private message me first with any links I would appreciate. It is no hurry and I understand.

• Posted

Hi Melody, yes, the side effects from my meds gave me terrible symptoms which scared me and made me anxious. Plus I was so spaced out I struggled to function properly and get through each day.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.