Withdrawal and effects of Prednisone

Posted , 5 users are following.

Went on a 6-day prednisone pack for poison ivy.  Got a rebound case (very bad) on the second day after stopping.  Got a shot and another 6-day pack.  By the end of the second day, I started getting a different rash on various parts of my body.  Have dealt with it using oatmeal baths, Zyrtec, benedryl for two weeks.  Went to a dermatologist yesterday who said the dose and duration wasn't strong enough.  Started a one month prednisone regime yesterday (4X day for 7 days, then 3, etc).  Doing research, I'm very uncomfortable with the side effects (common ones) and one month from now I do not want to be dealing with new or the same issues (through the summer!).  I've taken 4 pills yesterday, and 4 today.  I have a second opinion appointment next Tuesday.  Can I just stop at this point?  What will happen?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

What DOSE are you on? 4x tablets of what dose? That has a great bearing on whether you can just stop or whether you need to taper.
    • Posted

In theory you COULD just stop after your appointment on Tuesday, you probably haven't been on the high doses long enough to affect your adrenal function too much - but I really don't recommend it and you could feel quite unwell adjusting to the change in dose. You are now into the weekend - and less access to medical attention if you were were to need it.

The side effects at these high doses are unpleasant but they do reduce as the dose reduces. I really do suggest you stay where you are until Tuesday and discuss it with the second opinion doctor. And say to them what you have said to us. I'm sure they will understand - and may have their own approach.

• Posted

Thanks Eileen.  I had pretty much come to the same conclusion.  I will recap on Tuesday, and they can either say change the dosing schedule (with a taper, of course) or continue the regime for the full month. 
  • Posted

Hi Wendy,

You cannot just stop taking predinsone, you have to taper off of it, your adrenal glands have to wake back up from being on it. I would call your health care provider and explain to him or her your concerns and side effects of being on predinsone. Also, when we get poison ivy at our home we use Fels-Naptha Bar Soap we just rub the bar on the posion ivy without water and it works help getting ready of the posion ivy. You can buy it in the laundry or soap area of stores. 

Hope this help

Hope you get to feeling better!

Sis0308

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.