Withdrawal Coping Methods

Posted , 5 users are following.

I'm about three weeks off mirtazapine and it has been a physical and emotional roller coaster to say the least with moments of feeling really good and hopeful to times of feeling horrible and feeling like this will never end and that I can't do this any longer.

I try to exercise more, read, play video games, meditation daily to help me through some of the tough times but was wondering what are some things others do. Was hoping to help each other with some ways to cope with getting off mirtazapine if possible so any ideas would be appreciated!

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Rob...

I know is hard but let me tell you that This is my first time ever doing a withdrawal and after taking mirtazapine 30mg for almost 3 years and quitting cold turkey I think the best way to withdraw is by putting aside any other antidepressants and just letting it take its course, I'm not saying going completely raw, I took Valium probably 3 times during my now 5 months withdrawal and that's literally it, no switching to another antidepressants, just pacing around in the house, one day I locked myself in a room and cried out loud all day cause I felt hopeless and couldn't take it anymore, my husband and kids were there and heard me cried like a maniac but after I came out of the room and they asked me to go the park with them I knew things weren't so bad... what I'm trying to say is that no matter how bad you feel, try your best to see the positive things..,I did it has helped tremendously, I think there is only one way of coping and is going clean and positively thinking that it will get better... no medications messing up your nerves confusing them...I know it sounds easy but is the hardest thing I've ever done and I think that's why today I have a clear mind and even though my sleep isn't 100% I'm passed the worst and I'm trying my best to live a medication free life, and that after been molested as a child, my daughter died and just overall hard life...try it rob, please do...God Bless you!

• Posted

Hi Candy, you are so lucky you have come out the other side. I was wondering when you went cold turkey what level you were on?  It seems to have worked for you and you seem much better.  I am assuming you dont take anything now and your life has got back to normal.  I need mine to do the same.  I had been fine till imhad to take mirtazapine.  Its just got worse and worse, every time they try to increase i get huge anxiety spikes.  I am just looking for hints to get off.
  • Posted

Hi Rob,

You seem to be doing the right type of stuff. Have you started on another anti depressant. I presume sleep is an issue?

• Posted

Hi Rob

We feel your pain and believe me when we say we know what you are going through.  I think you are doing all the right things.  Walking is good.  Get outside and think positive thoughts.  Deep breathing for those panicky times, wherever, whenever.  Some people have tried supplements like magnesium citrate and hour before bed; it helps with muscle relaxation.  Keep a sleep diary.  Know that there are many of us like you going through this now so drawing comfort from the fact that you are not alone and things will get better.  I say this because I found this forum in the depths of despair from mirt withdrawal in the long dark hours of insomnia.  I (like Candy)  went cold turkey on 31 May after taking 15mg for 6 months.  I'm into week 9 of withdrawal and I'm really struggling with dreadful insomnia.  Most of the other symptoms have gone but this insomnia is the worst.  I'm determined not to take another AD but I do use the odd sleeping tablet when desperate.  I use this forum to message others and read  their support.  And I am going back to my doctor to see about more sleep aids to get me through.  I have read that it can take at least 3 months for an AD to wear off but that would depend on the length of time and the strength of dosage and then of course everyone is affected differently.

Keep visiting this forum.  We are all in the same boat.  

• Posted

Thanks for all the replies as it really does help I've been taking hydroxyzine to help with sleep as I can't seem to sleep on my own at all sometimes. Its hard feeling like a yo-yo everyday with being up and really down at some point each day but I'll continue doing what I'm doing each day and hope that better day are ahead soon.

Best of luck to all of you and thanks again for all the suggestions and support!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.