Withdrawal from 30/500 Co-Codamol

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi I'm new here , age 74. I was on the above for over 20 years ( yes I know ! ) Had my head in the sand as it was helping depression .Took 4 over 24 hours. I've got completely off them over 6/8 weeks now but still suffering from stomach cramps and diarrhoea  . As I was on this for so long , my worry is that this symptom could go on for a long time - any help really appreciated.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi there,

First of all congratulations on your achievement you should proud.

It is unlikely you could have suffered permanent damage to your bowels, the body has an amazing ability to heal itself, but it's not impossible. Codeine is very rough on your intestines hence why it causes constipation and cramping. I was taking codeine for close to ten years and it took my digestion a while to get back to normal.

There is a possibility that It could be something else upsetting your guts. Medication, dehydration or a food allergy. Is there a particular time you notice the pain more? Like after certain foods or coffee?

Nikki

• Posted

Thanks Nikki ,my Dr is amazed that I'm right off them ! Wondering if coffee isnt a good idea though. Buscopan helps.  This is great support which I need . xx

• Posted

Coffee can irritate your gut and it speeds up your digestion so if you're already experiencing loose stools and cramps it wouldn't help. I remembered there is a medication my doctor prescribed me for the cramping it's called colefac. It's in the same class of drugs as buscopan but it's a stronger antispasmodic. It's used widely for ibs sufferers and I found it great. Some days the cramping would be so bad I couldn't get out of bed and the colefac really helped. Just another option if you find the pain is affecting your everyday life.

This site is wonderful for support and advice. Quite often people that have gone through codeine withdrawal can give you the best advice.

Good luck 😊

Nikki

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.