Withdrawal from Amitriptylene

Posted , 7 users are following.

Have decided to stop Amitriptylene, as I don't feel it helps so much with pain and keeps me asleep in the morning - not good when you have to get up for work! Also I have dry eyes, dry mouth and have put on 1 stone - is that down to the Ami? I need to find out! Has anyone else stopped this? I am doing this with approval of Doc. Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.

Take care, Anne

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

The weight gain and dry mouth are a side effect of amytripline- not sure a bout dry eyes! How much were you taking a day?

You should aim to drop 1/2 a tablet every 3/5 days (this will lessen the withdrawals) how long were you taking them?

• Posted

Thanx for that, only been taking them for a year. I was on 50mg, which I took at 5pm. Takes a monumental effort to get up in the morning.

Take care, Anne

• Posted

I never suffer weight gain, but do get the dry mouth, been on them fir about 16 years..never had them increased, however when I first went on them the gave me too strong a dies and I was like a zombie all the time..so they drooped them by 30gm, I did suffer some withdrawals but I was under a doctor-as Katz said...bit at a time....if I didn't take them, I would never have a pain free sleep, I take 25mg per night at7pm...I need to be woken, but once up I'm fine....I also changed my eating pattern, I eat Paleo ...with dairy....if your overweight you lose it and visa versa..worth a google....hope you find what you looking for on here Anne...have a lovely day..be blessed..:-) xxx
    • Posted

Thanx for that. I have been taking 50mg at 5pm, but it takes a monumental effort to get up in the morning. I tend to be fairly pain free during the night, once I get comfy. Just worrried I won't be able to get to sleep without them. Thanx for diet advice too.

Take care, Anne

• Posted

I was the same as you Anne. I was fed up with all the side effects I had to endure. I didnt consult my GP. I very gradually reduced the dose. I thought I would like to see what happens off this necessary evil. I lasted about two days completely off it. To say I felt bad is an understatement. I had to get back on them ASAP.
    • Posted

Thanx for the replies, I have been on 50mg for about a year now. I am reducing slowly, but from what I read here, does not look good. Oh dear

Take care, Anne

• Posted

Hi

i was on amitrip' for 8 months, put on over 3 stone, 2 stone in first two months. Dreadful sleep issues and tiredness, dry mouth, problems with muscles, cognitive skills severely effected etc etc etc.stopped amitrip' and feel much much more alert and much less tired, not falling asleep constantly, muscles improved etc. Still not 100% focused or great memory but loads and loads better and am on other meds prob contributing to remaining bit of side effects. Ref sleep..personally I have found I now can not sleep more than 2 hours in one go and wake for while then back to sleep for hour or two. Been off it for 3 months so would have thought getting back to normal now sleepwise but would rather this than before. No side effects experienced myself from coming off. Best thing ever did to stop, even though my nerve pain is now truly awful. Still trying to find alternatives, or coping mechanisms, but not worth staying on amitr'. Don't be scared of coming off it, especially if did not think was doing much for yr pain. My most pain relief was from gabapentin but cognitive and sleep really badly affected too. Good luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.