Withdrawal from co codamol

Posted , 3 users are following.

I  have been taking co codamol for 20 yrs, i have been going cold turkey from nov 2016 i am still having sweats aches anxiety crying  and irritability has anyone ever taken this long to detox? and has anyone any suggetions to help me?  i have had a very bad weekend  karen.

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

• Posted

Hi Karen When exactly did you stop the codeine?How much were you tking?Were you taking any other meds such as benzos?  Hang on in there.
    • Posted

Hi I stopped mid nov 2016 so its about 10weeks, i was taking 4 30/500 a day, i am now taking 150 tramadol, thanks karen.
    • Posted

I was taaking 3 to 4 codeine tablets a week. Yes thats right a week. My neurologist said thatthat was more than enough to cause the serious side effects. I stopped went cold turkey. Felt better.

TRAMADOL. This is an opiate and so is codeine.

How much tramadol a day are you taking and for what reason?

​My instinct is to ask whether tramadol is really necessary to deal with the level of painand if you can manage on  say paractamol.

​Opiates lower the pain threshold tricking the mind and body into thinking and depending on even higher does.

Morphine of course is an opiate so I doubt that any reputable GP, dr would be so rash as to prescribe another opiate as that one would have to be weaned/tapered off as they are only intended to be prescribed for short periods due to their addictive and adverse reactions.

​Have u discussed a tapering off regime with your dr or the prescriber or the pharmacist?

• Posted

Tramadol is evil stuff. I cant take it. Idk if you realise that codeine metabolises in the liver as morphine which is why you become addicted.
    • Posted

HiDidi he tthin was that I dd not become addicted hoever the cdeine does not discriminate and I got severe adverse reactions.

Tramadol is an evil drug. All opiates are evil.

• Posted

sorry about the typos. Meant to write the thing was......

However....

• Posted

I had a doctor laugh in my face when i told him i was addicted to N+. He told me it was impossible. Go figure..
    • Posted

Well obviously this dr does not understand or even want to understand or to realise the obvious dangers. It is well documented that people can become addicted to neurophen plus. All  the dr has to do is to google for himself and see that codeine is added to this drug thus making it highly addictive.
    • Posted

This is going back about 5 years ago now and a non Australian doctor. Alot of them dont thinknoutside the square. If it isnt in a textbook they don't want to know about it.

I also had an argument with the same dr about 2 different medicatuons he put me on that caused swelling when used together. He told me point blank that tswelling wasn't a side effect. I stopped taking them and dwelling disappeared. If you don't get help from 1 doctor,find another. Dont let them treat you like you don't have a clue

• Posted

Hi Karen

How many were you taking? It sounds like a long time to still be having those side effects.

Congratulations by the way,CT after 20years thats pretty full on!

• Posted

Hi karen, i am in the same boat as you, i finally made the step and got sum help from people who help with substance addictions, one thing that they said was to go to the docs and be honest, they may give u a morphine script and very very slowly wean u off the pills, u shouldnt go cold turkey as will leave nasty side affects, try cutting down and get a plan drawn up, i havnt been docs yet regarding this, i go sum time this week xx
    • Posted

Hi how long were you on co codamol? i am goin to docs on wed, i am on tramadol from i stopped co codamol, i am now getting so confused i dont know were i am  have a docs appoi on wed this is the third one they dont seem to understand i will keep my fingers crossed for you xo
    • Posted

Hi karen, erm approx 3 years, im still on them, but made the first step and shall be going to docs to see what they advice, i went to open Road first who help with things like this. See if there is anything like this in yr area, u need a good doc that understand, let me no how u get.on xx
    • Posted

Hi i was prescribed tramadol for arthritis and ankylosing spondlitis, i was at doc today so i have cut the dose down to 100 in the morn and 150 at night, i hope to cut down to 100 at night. i have only had sweats twice today which i can deal with, maybe it is coming to an end? my doc is very understanding but it dosent make it much easier, i am also terrified of having to go through the same withdrawal symptoms from tramadol i would rather have the pain than those thanks for replying to me it has been a very good support to me Karen.
    • Posted

Hi kay, i was at doc today so i have cut down the tramadol to 100 in the morn and 150 at night i hope to cut it down more then get of it altogether, i would prefer the pain than the withdrawal symptoms. i am on tramadal for arthritis and ankylosing spondlitis in my back thanks for replying it has been a good support to me, i don't feel so alone now Thanks Karen.

• Posted

Karen

​You are very welcome. Tramadol is a nasty drug that is for sure. It contains opiates and it is difficult to withdraw from. The fact that you said you would rather have the pain than the withdrawal signs and symptoms is encouraging because it shows a genuine committment to getting off this drug. That is very important and will see you through this harrowing ordeal. Only those who have been through this reallyunderstand the issues.

I was on a very low dose of codeuine tthat made me very ill.

I am now off it thank God. Never again.

It caused a bowel obstructio which resulted in my being admitted to hiospital for an enema under the surgeons. I then had a gastroscopy and colonoscopy. These procedures reassured everyone especially me and the surgeons that I did not have bowel cancer. Now my GP knows not to prescribe any codeine!!

Take care keep strong.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.