Withdrawal from Diazepam

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi, my wife has been on diazepam for the past forty years. Our doctors in September last year stated that national guidelines stated she had to be weaned off them! No consultaion only a sheet passing on the way to be weaned off or any possilbe withdrawal effects. Does anyone know where i can see a copy of the national guidelines please? nearly a year on I am still struggling with my wife of 47 years, mental health and lack of support. I was led to believe the withdrawal was for users of 3/4 weeks?. Before being weaned of this drug my wife, myself and my family led a pretty normal life as we took in account what my wife could or couldn't do. since then, for nearly one year she has cancelled out patients for her arthritis and has virtually lived in the bedroom. Desperate husband needs answers please...

3 likes, 44 replies

44 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Are you on Face Book ?
    • Posted

Hi Pat, yes I'm on fb. Dave Miller

Are you?

Regards

Dave

• Posted

Hi Dave,

If you don't mind, I'll try to find you on FB also, only if it's OK with you.

I'm not being nosey and I understand that your wife probably does not want to talk to anyone etc, that's all part of the withdrawals but believe me it would make her feel better if she did talk with someone who is on the Medication and has experience.  Just my opinion, I'd def take Pat up on the visit, it's nice of her to offer and you might be surprised at how it will help you and your wife.  Pls Take Care  Nicola.

• Posted

I am Pat Kennett on FB ..your name is too con on to find ..I am sitting on a ship's balcony on the profile picture ..get in touch ..I will visit your wife gladly 

regards Pat 

• Posted

Hi Pat, thanks for your offer of visiting but we don't feel it would be of a benefit, but again thanks. If you have an email address I can send you copies of the national guidelines. Will request on your fb in box for email address.

Regards

Dave

• Posted

Hello Dave hope things are improving for  your wife.I have been on 20 mg diazepam daily  for 30 years now aftera neck operation caused a neck already arthritic to spasm.

A fewmonths ago GP suggested I withdraw or lower dose .He made out a plan I joined a FB group they said it was far to quick .I then read all their horror stories and was told I was deluding myself that they were doing me  no harm .Upshot was I returned to GP and said that at my age 67 I did not want to go through withdrawal .He said that was my decision ,after the lenght of time I couldn't be forced . All the best to you and your wife

• Posted

Great to hear Liza that a GP has said we can't be forced off them ..I have replied to your other thread ..I wish you'd been on here a year ago ..I would have not lived in fear as much for my GP forcibly taking me off what keeps me sane 

Best Wishes 

Pat 

• Posted

Hi Dave,

Have not heard from you in a while, just wondering how your wife is doing?

Still thinking of you both and hoping things have taken a turn for the better.

Nicola xx

• Posted

I'd ask to be referred to a phyciatrict,they would tell your doctor they can't do that,iv had to do it myself,doctors don't know how dangerous it can be for long term users

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.