Withdrawal from gabapentin very long term high dose use

Posted , 3 users are following.

does anyone have experience withdrawing or reducing dose of gabapentin after very long term use at high dose. i have neuropathy in both legs and chronic back pain as a result of a large tumor in my lumbar spine. my spine is now a mess. i would like to try more naturopathic methods to relieve pain and neuropathy maybe combined with a lower dose of gabapentin. i have been taking between 3200-2400 mg daily for more than ten years. most significant side effect is memory. i am losing quite a bit of both long and short term memory. i recently reduced my dose by 400 mg and think i am suffering side effects (in addition to pain). i am very tired, feel like i am very hot, then cold. i have very little energy, serious headaches, no enthusiasm for anything. Doctors don´t seem to know how to deal with side effects or alternatives. i have already had five surgeries, so many injections i cannot remember, physical therapy has been a waste of time. yoga helps, cbd and thc help, but i don´t like being "high". i have already quit opiods except t3 combined with cbd.

i am doubtful i will be able to go completely off gabapentin as i have tried almost everything drs have come up with and it seems to be the best of alot of bad options. neuropathy is bad and nerve damage to point of leg collasping with only warning being sharp pain. neurologist says that when pain is very severe sometimes the brain just shuts off that section. drs think some of the pain is "phantom" pain from nerves damaged by tumor or surgery and scar tissue.

Any suggestions for getting thru reduced dose and alternate naturopathic pain relief would be appreciated.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Hi Debbie i am on a long term use of gabapentin and find i get memory loss .I have cut down from 3600 mg to 2700 mg and am begining to cope.

It has take a few weeks but have got there after a number of side effects.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.