Withdrawal from medication

Posted , 4 users are following.

13 and a 1/2 weeks ago, I was put back on medication due to my Mental Health illnesses. I have been on and off medication since I was 17, I'm now 33. Most of the time, I withdraw from taking medication myself because it just doesn't work. I was put on new medication from the ones I'd been on before (I stopped taking the last lot of medication because it wasn't working and was off medication for months). I was put on a starting dose of 25mg Quetiapine, 50mg of Sertraline and 5mg of Stilnoct. I have been gradually increased by my psychiatrist by 25mg of Quetiapine and 50mg of Sertraline every 3 weeks to 4 weeks. My last increase was upped from 100mg to 150mg of Quetiapine (as the psychiatrist thought it'd be best to go up by 50mg this time), 150mg to 200mg of Sertraline and still 5mg of Stilnoct. I took these doses for 3 days and still no effect. So I stopped taking them. I hate taking medication, it's a battle I face everyday. I mean what's the point in taking medication if it's not working? The psychiatrist said last week I've to go back on 21/12/17 to see how I'm getting on with the new dose and if it still wasn't working then she would change the antipsychotic medication to Venylflaxime (I don't know how to spell it) and up the Stilnoct to 10mg but she was going to keep me on the 200mg dose of Sertraline (according to her, that's the highest dose - I don't know because I ain't in the medical profession so I wouldn't know). I just can't see any medication working so I've withdrawn myself from taking medication. However, literally as soon as I stopped taking it (after I missed my first dose) 7 days ago, I've never felt so physically unwell - I've been vomiting (it's like acid, burning my stomach and throat - leaving a nasty taste in my mouth), feeling nauseous all the time, feeling lethargic all the time, I'm constantly shaking, have massive headaches that won't go away, lack of sleep (literally like maybe 12 hours in a whole week - horrific nightmares keep waking me up - this morning I didn't fall asleep till about 6.30am and woke up 5 times due to nightmares and got up at 8.30am), I feel so depressed and the voices and visuals (flashbacks, seeing bad, bad people) so bad. These are the worst withdrawal symptoms I've ever had, well apart from the depression and the voices and visuals (they are always bad). How long do these symptoms last? It's horrific. I don't want or need to speak or see my psychiatrist or psychiatric nurse. I just want to stop feeling the way I do. Please, any reply is appreciated (well unless it's about going back on medication or speaking or seeing the Mental Health Team I'm under). Thanks in advance.

2 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Charley

It is important you keep taking your medications in there suggested entirety. You have a further appointment later this month , two weeks time. The drugs will need around four to five weeks to work, hence your next appointment.

If you keep stopping your medications the side effects will be more marked because of withdrawal. When we start a new drug regime we also get side effects, the problem is we need to walk though this time to get ourselve in a more better place. Take your medications

BOB

• Posted

i am trying to get help on my medication hence it has been changed but i cannot even leave the house im afraid there is no help seeings in the facility i was in i made a mistake on wanting the dr to take me off xanax while i was there 7 was there 7 days and on 1 mg 4 times daily along with rexulti seroquel and cymbalta and all my meds were changed i need some serious help but it seems useless they wanted to send me to a partial place afterwards and a place where i was sent before and they are not nice there so know i am afraid of not getting help     i did have a different psychiatrist and i change to county mental health for some unknown reason i was kinda talked into by a counselor so didn't put the original psychiatrist that put me on these meds down to contact my bad.  i went to the county to get placed in this facility so i guess i put them down but i shouldn't have obviously ive been without sleep for a while

any suggestions  i also have terrible side effects from the remeron gaba pentin and the trazodone (which does't help with sleep)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.