Withdrawal from mirt

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have been weaning myself off of mirt. Was on it 3 months and my eyes got very blurry, started having panic attacks and felt a sense of fear. Well I'm down to 7.5 mg from 11.25. I have a terrible feeling in my stomach, like its nervous all the time and a feeling of fear. Has anyone else felt this.

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

In a word.  Yes.   Very common and it will subside over time.   The "stomach problems" from my own research seem the last to go.
  • Posted

Hi

Yes, the anxiety is a very common withdrawal symptom, sure indication that you're probably going too fast.  10% rule will help you to avoid the nasty symptoms of wd from this difficult drug.  

Click on my name and follow the link below it for an informed choice re withdrawing.  Be careful, the lower the dose the worse the symptoms for many folk.

Wishing you well Patty.

• Posted

Thank you so much. The fatigue is terrible too.
  • Posted

Yes, I had both fatigue as in exhausted and also tiredness.   Gotta laugh I would not have thought the 2 were much different until you get one of them one day and the other the next day.   It's best not to read the complete  list of side effects to avoid "getting them because you've read about them" syndrome!  lol... crazy stuff
    • Posted

Hi Ian

Are you completely off Mirt' now?  Fatigue ugh ...  especially at 6pm when you have to perform in the kitchen and put a meal on the table!  When all you want to do is curl up and sleep.

• Posted

No, I'm still on 15.  (originally at 45).  Ran into a brick wall of depression which was just getting worse each day to the point where I could no longer put up with it (at 7.5) so I went back up to 15.   It seems likely I still need it, but I still want to get off this one because of the dopiness (been on it 6.5 years and got to the point where I was dopey all day).   I'm seeing my doc in 3 days and he has said the last time that he would give me venlafaxine if I got down to 15 (he doesn't like Mirtazapine either!).   Looking at Mims you are supposed to cross taper from M to V anyway, which means (no disrespect to GPs) that GPs don't know that much about these drugs.  My GP originally said to cut from 45 by 15mg every 2 weeks which I know is totally unrealistic, and he didn't know you are supposed to cross taper these 2 drugs.   I really need to see a Psychiatrist for drugs/dosage but - lol - I'm not "ill enough" (meaning I haven't tried to kill myself).   Very frustrating where the UK health service puts "cost effectiveness" before patients.   Give them the first drug in fashion and tell them to go away.....
    • Posted

That "brick wall of depression" that you describe up there was more than likely the effects of withdrawing from Mirt' and not your original symptoms returning, one of the key WD symptoms/sensations is depression.  You did a mighty leap probably from 15 to 7.5 ?  That being 50% is 5 times bigger than the recommended 10% taper every 3 to 4 weeks.  It happens time and time again, folk do a quick taper, suffer greatly, lose confidence because of the wd symptoms/sensations and go back up or go to another AD, not really knowing if their original illness is cured or not.

I'm tapering (not sure if I told you already), I listen to my body by letting any wd pass, probably every 2 weeks doing a little 5% taper each time, sure enough around day 4/5 I feel fatigue for a few days, then I feel low, then it passes and I have a few good days and then do another taper.

You may not need another AD or Ven, after 6 years I'll bet you would like to find out and do without?  And anyway, being on them a lengthy time makes it more important to do a slower taper.

Can you access Mims ont he internet?   Hmmm, interesting Ian.

Wishing you well smile  

• Posted

Hard won bitter experience of mine confirms Calmer's approach as the one to follow.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.