Withdrawal from Mirtazapine

Posted , 2 users are following.

I am currently withdrawing from mirtazapine 15mg, I have been taking half a tablet 7.5mg for 2 weeks, Unsure now whether to take 7.5mg every other night for 2 weeks or 2.5mg every night for 2 weeks and hopefully be off all together then. I have also started 20mg seroxat 5 weeks ago. Cutting the tablets to get correct amount is not a problem as I have a pill cutter.

Any advice anyone.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I would take the tapering process very slowly as I have had horrendous withdrawals from mirtazapine. You can read about my experiences in my other posts. I would take it very very easy.You might find that you need some valium to stave off the ensuing panic. I have also used some low dose zopiclone at night. These are short term measures only. If you find the withdrawals overwhelming to contact your pdoc or GP without delay. I wish you well. You might sail through all this without incident.
  • Posted

I'm curious as why you are cutting down on Mirtazapine and replacing it with Seroxat. I've cut from 30mg to 22 with no probs; I work full time in a demanding job. the main reason for me coming off is weight gain, 'I'm the heaviest I've ever been in my life (12 stone), my joints hurt and if i crouch I feel in need of a crane to get up again! I've gained 2 stone over a year and a half and am still gaining.

I was initially on 15 mg of Mirt and Zolpidem to sleep. I was on Zolpidem for 14 years, 10 mg. I now no longer take Zolpidem.

I'm finding it v diff to cut down to 10 mg of Mirt due to finding it difficult to sleep.

Work is a curse and a blessing. I love teaching when it's going well, as it is at the mo. I need the structure as well, but I my insomnia before the Z was awful, to the point where I was struggling to work. No sleeo. sleeo at 6. no sleep, repeat.

I need to see my doc but I'm frightened that he'll tell me to stick with the Mirt. I'm frightened of not sleeping, which can make my insomnia worse.Before taking Z I was in trouble for oversleeping.

I realise that I was on Z for far too long. I also think I liked it too much and would occassionally mix it with alcohol to relax, never to the point where I couldn't work the next day. I'm frightened of going back on Z. I used to lock it away at work so that I never had more than 10 mg at home. The school is locked at night. I have sleep walked on Z, cooked and had sex with a partner without remembering it until seeing the kitchen or spoken to partner. I live on my own and have left the grill on and had a couple of falls.

I'm not sure if my sleep prob is the main issue or depression.Or both. I can't afford to give up work. A break would be ideal or mornings with a garantee of going back full time when and if I'm sorted or at at least happy with unsortedness.

I'd love to be drug free. I wonder if things would be different if I'd never taken that that first anti-d or Z. I think the Z was a good idea but not for so long. I was initially prescribed anti d s for chronic fatigue sydrome. I wouldn't take them and changed docs.

I think that I may ask for 5mg of Z to help me get off the M but go back to locking them away. Strange that talking about diets is her favourite topic, shes lost 2 stone the B and yet this is a no no.

• Posted

I was put on 30mg of Mirtazapine to help me get off 17.5mg of Valium during a 5 week in patient detox. This was undoubtedly the worst experience of my life, and almost a year later i still have (FAIRLY MILD) valium WD. I reduced from 30 mg of Mirt to 22.5mg last xmas and had extreme headaches and nausea and thought it was valium wd getting worse. I then reduced from 22.5 to 15mg and again was very ill for several weeks. This happened again reducing from 15mg to 7.5mg 4 months ago and the last reduction was 6 days ago (7.5mg every other day = to reduction to 3.75mg) and this time, from yesterday onwards i feel absolutely terrible!!! Headache, nausea, itchy skin, muscle cramps and tension, extremely vivid nightmares, sweating, upset stomach, joint pain, achy bones, and sore gums (HAD SORE GUMS AND DRY MOUTH DURING NORMAL DOSING AND MAIN REASON FOR COMING OFF MIRT cos adding to gum problems). I am very worried cos symptoms are worse than first 3 reductions. Can't take much more cos been ill for nearly 3 years including Valium problem. Hope doesn't last long cos wanna stop last dose of 3.75mg as soon as poss. REply to me to let me know if you are now ok. All the best.
  • Posted

hi, reading about the withdrawal syptoms is quite scary,ive been taking them for a year, im on 45mg of mirtazapine and 20 mg of citalopram, ive just watched a friend go cold turkey with a different antidepressant and have to admit im not looking forward to being weaned off them when the time comes, they have helped an awful lot, i had severe clinical depression, my main worry is sliding back down if i do come off them, how can a doctor tell when your ready ? and that your depression isnt just being suppressed by the medication

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.