Withdrawal from Pred

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have been steadily coming down on dose using dead slow method. I think the worse withdrawal symptoms for me have been mental state/ emotional instability. It generally strikes in week two of transition and includes paranoia, feelings of worthlessness, despair etc. I can keep it in check mostly because it is a pattern i recognise and i know that by week four it will have passed it's worst. It definitely means i have to keep away from any deep discussions as i am instantly in tears. I can keep myself distracted during the day but night time and early mornings can be tough. I braced myself for physical discomfort during this process but didn't expect this aspect to be so bad. Has anyone else had these problems? Any point in going to the doctor and asking for help?

I have also struggled with fatigue which has given me a horrendous craving for carbs and sugar and i have put weight on again. Any advice?

i have been on pred for about 7 years, few bumps along the way! I am currently on my way down from 3-2mg a day. The good news is my energy levels seem to be better on a low dose day though this seems to make no sense and maybe purely physiological!

Thanks for listening, I really feel there are not many people outside this group who understand!

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Although I have had feelings of despair I don't think in my case they are associated with pred dose. More a reaction to life situation, which certainly hasn't been helped by the pandemic. I always had problems when I was feeling isolated, as when my children were all in school and before I got a job, or after retirement. Being unable to see my then only grandchild since she was four months old, solely because of pandemic travel restrictions, now over two, has been hard. But there is another grandchild within visiting distance now. Not the same, different and loved just as much, but some compensation.

That is a lead up to a suggestion that you may wish to look at other aspects of your life. I do know that high pred doses, or even reasonably moderate ones, can cause some psychological changes, but it is really unlikely at a low dose. I sometimes think our body learns to do things. At one point (many years ago) I realized that I had "learned" to get a headache in certain situations, for example. Yes, recognizing that didn't cure me of all headaches, but it stopped that particular situation from inevitably leading to one. It is a possibility that your body "learned" that when it lost a little bit of pred it was going to make you feel a certain way.

The fact that you are beginning to regain your energy level is a very good sign. It indicates your natural cortisol production is coming back on line so you should find yourself growing out of the distressing symptoms you've been experiencing.

If you go to the HealthUnlocked health forum, PMRGCAuk community, you will find a lot more activity and experienced patients with lots of support and advice!

• Posted

Just another suggestion you come over to HealthUnlocked PMRGCAuk forum - lots of people to offer advice.

Weight problems with pred - cut your carbs lots. Especially processed ones and added sugar. And that also helps with the cravings problem too - reduces the swings in blood sugar so you reduce the lows that are what make you crave carbs. Lots of discussion about that too at HU!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.