Withdrawal from sertaline

Posted , 5 users are following.

Been off sertraline now for around 2 weeks and felt fine even better than when I was on them then today wham I feel sick headache my eyes are burning and keep goin really dizzy is this normal don't want to go back to where I was a yr ago any advice really appreciated xx

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hey Michelle.

Did you come off them slowly like take 2 days off 1 day etc to slowly come off them, or did you just stop taking them?

I am currently on week 10 of taking them... thought I was over the worst but at the weekend I suffered a major anxiety attack for no reason. It was horrible. Still on 50mg so happy about that.

Hope you feel better soon!

• Posted

Hi James I think I came off them way too fast to be honest I was on 100mg cut straight down to 50 mg for 3 weeks then I forget to take em 1 day so decided to stop and c how I went 😔 X
  • Posted

Yes withdrawal must be veeeeery slow. I tried to get off three times over the years and the side effects chased me right back. The last time from 50 mg, I took 25 mg for three months then 12.5 for three months, then 12.5 every other day for a few months then stopped. I still had crazy anxiety, crying for two months, and one panic attack but the brain zaps were not there this time.  I had withdrawal symptoms for 3 1/2 months then was 100% fine. Hang in there!
    • Posted

Oh dear hope I don't have to go through this for months 😔 x
  • Posted

Depends how you came off them, the recommendation is to cut back 10% each month until you finish. Check out sertraline withdrawal does it go away on this site for clear advice on this.

i had to reinstate my previous dose at one stage due to withdrawals, I've been tapering down since last October now on 12.5 and about to reduce further, 

All the best

• Posted

I think I've come off them way too quickly halfed 100mg for 3 weeks then stopped completely but to be fair I did feel rubbishy when I was on them too x
  • Posted

Hi Michelle

I am going through weaning off process too. Like you I cut down too quickly (mind you I was following the advice of my gp) felt miserable, very anxious, headaches, dizzy and a bit spaced out.

The best advice I got was from this forum cut only by 10% per month. As much I want to be off this medication I now realise it needs to be done slowly to limit the negative impact on the system!!

Find a dosage that will help you stabilise for a while then apply the 10% rule.

• Posted

Hi ye that's just how I feel what dose were u on of u don't mind me askin? And ave u gone back on it then and what dose u on now? I really don't want to go back on this med as I felt rubbish on it aswell but if I need to then I will thx for your advice x
    • Posted

Hi Michelle don't mind you asking at all...I was on 100mg per day for about a year then down to 50mg per day for about 6 months. I Am now down to 25mg per day will stay on this dosage for February then reduce by 10% for march and so on until I can stop altogether.

I missed a couple of days and thought I would just stop altogether boy was I wrong...withdrawl was brutal.

I went back on the 50mg per day dosage that i was on previously for about 3/4 weeks. When i felt stable again i started the 10% reduction per month. This week feels like the first time my body is adapting to coming off this drug and I am starting to feel better in myself again.

Have learned the hard way slow and steady with this drug...Mind you my doc said would have no problems coming off it...will be filling him in next time I see him..

• Posted

Thx for replying I'm glad ur doin ok now I think I will give it another couple of days and if I still feel the same will start on 50mg again, can I ask why u were put on sertraline mine was depression and anxiety and also do u sleep ok on it cos my sleep is terrible ? x
    • Posted

Mine was for anxiety mostly...sleep hasn't been too bad...did have some very bad nightmares at the start but they passed after a while.

I was doing really well on the medication and made the decision it was time to come off it. But the coming off bit has been the most difficult..but I know will get there and I am looking forward to the day when I am off it for good.

I am a believer in listening to your body what works for one may not work for another..you do what is right for you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.