Withdrawal of morphine

Posted , 3 users are following.

just wondering if anyone has had withdrawal from morphinesulphate 10mg, I have been on them for 5 months due to breaking my back, back in April. Wondering if anyone had withdrawal symptoms and what they where ??

Thanks for reading michelle

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Michelle 87265,

I know abit about withdrawal from morphine.

I was taking 60mg slow release morphine tablets twice a day for almost 7 yrs due to a Shoulder injury sustained (amongst other injuries) in a car accident.

I came of them following a Shoulder joint replacement, my GP said I would need help, but I managed the withdrawl symptoms on my own watched over by my loving wife. for me it took around two years for them to fully stop, and mainly the shakes / tremours, mostly in my limbs, and mainly legs, were the last to go. but the first period it was the nausea more than anything. But got there in the end and was worth it. But I think everybody is different in there reactions/ how you cope, I've had a lot of pain/illness in my years prior, so I feel that helped me.

Good luck, I can't see you having to many problems on a low does like that. just keep in there.

• Posted

Thank you. Did you suffer many affects of withdrawal, where they manageable. Was the pain really bad without the morphine, is it a bearable pain ??

Thanks michelle

• Posted

I became addicted after hysterectomy, 9 days on morphine, lots of other problems as well, also traumatic change of life caused by surgery, and removal of ovaries, with they don't understand why I became addicted so quickly but apparetly it does happen although rarely.

Ended up back in hospital same evening I was discharged with the most amazing painful stomach cramps, nausea and vomiting.

Eventually young Dr explained to me after an injection of morphine and the pain and cramps and vomiting disappaered immediately.

He wrote out for me 1 x tablet every four hours for a week, then 1 x tablet every 5 hours for a week, then 1 x tablet every 6 hours for a week, I think you follow the pattern, after about 6 weeks I was able to stop with no pain, and was fine.

When you are addicted he explained to me you are not just able to stop taking the medication, you have to taper down, or step down very carefully and slowly.

Since had double hip replacement where again very serious pain killers were used to help me, this time had no problems with medication, after about 10 ten days was able to give up the morphine with fingers crossed for bad reaction, none, whewwww.

• Posted

Can I ask how long it took in total, and what strengths of morphine you where on please. Did the morphine when withdrawing cause you to have anxiety, some stress and depression, if so how severe where these symptoms xx thanks for replying
    • Posted

I was in the hospital attached to a drip right up until I was discharged. I assume I was on 10mg infused over 4 hours.

I have a hysterectomy scar that goes from my belly button down to pelvis, so that gives you some idea.

Four hours after arriving home i started to get stomach cramps and vomiting that only got worse rather than better, until I admitted defeat and went back to the emergency Dept for help.

A young Dr after they worked out what was going on, gave mne an injection of morphine and the pain and vomiting vanished straight away.

He then wrote me out a piece of paper I still have, and prescription for oxycodine, which is a type of morphine, 1 x every 4 hours for a week, then 1 x every 5 hours for a week, then 1 x every 6 hours for a week, then 1 x every 7 hours for a week.

Comment on the bottom of this list of is if you can't manage the difference on step down day, take on the half hour for a couple of days, but try to stretch out to the hour.

I wasn't suffering from anxiety thank goodness, just delighted to be told they had got all the cancer and even the tests on the tissue they took out were positive, cancer there but well contained still in uterus.

Since had double hip replacement and Dr's feared the same would happen again, I was ready and prepared for step down even explained to a young Dr what I had been through previously and how it had helped me cope.

Works wonderfully well but did take some effort, there was discomfort, and cramps, would have been easier to take the Oxy tablets, but I didn't want to stay like I was.

• Posted

10mg tablets
    • Posted

Took me about 6 - 8 weeks to get off the tablets, was able to shorten up the time between step down, from a week to about 5 days towards the end, but took me a little extra time to stop the night time tablets, as the stomach was still very sore from surgery.
    • Posted

I'm on 10mg during the day, 15mg at night plus I can have upto 7.5mg of oramorph 3 times a day, the on 1800mg of ibruprofen 3 times a day. Thank you for sharing x

• Posted

That is a scary amount of painkillers.

Could you talk to your Dr and say something to the effect that you would like to experiment with cutting back on some of the morphine.

10ml day doseage - when do you take that,

7.5mg oramorph - when do you take that

Leave the night doseage as it is I think, but lets see if we can work out a plan to help you step down that you can present to the Dr for his approval.

for example 10ml dose at 6am presently, could you manage to take it at 6.30am, or even 6.15am, then 4 hours later, 10.15am your 7.5mg oramorph, then 2.15pm, just stretching out your time factor very slowly, I it was suggested for me weekly, but I was able to get the changes down to about 5 days in between changes with no pain or cramps, on the clock, and eventually you will find yourself dropping out a dosage as no longer 4 hours in between doseage's, very very very slowly is the trick so your body doesn't even realise that you are taking away its goodies.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.