Withdrawal off gluten?!

Posted , 2 users are following.

I was tested some years ago for coeliacs but it came back negative. However I’ve been aware for a while that I don’t digest gluten well and have several of the gluten intolerance symptoms, so I have decided to give it up after advice from a holistic health coach. I hope people don’t mind me posting on here despite not having a diagnosis, but I couldn’t find a discussion for non coeliac gluten sensitivity. My question is how have others found things when they stopped eating gluten? I have been gluten free for about a week now and I have a huge increase in anxiety symptoms. My mental health is the main reason for giving it up, but it’s proving really tough so far. Has anyone else experienced this or would you say the increase in anxiety is related to something else? Also how long, if at all did any ‘withdrawal’ symptoms last? I have been limiting my gluten intake recently so I wasn’t expecting to have such a strong reaction. 

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

It was just a blood test.
    • Posted

It might be what is known as a ‘false negative’. There are a lot of people who get these false negative blood results, but when they have an endoscopy where biopsies are taken, it shows they have Coeliac disease. Maybe you could ask your doctor to refer you to the hospital. You need to eat wheat each day for at least 6 weeks though, but it’S the only real way to find out.
    • Posted

HI Fiona, thank you for the advice. I don’t have a lot of confidence in doctors and at the moment my priority is getting better, so I’ll probably just stick to eating gluten free at the moment. I was just wondering if anyone had experienced similar withdrawal symptoms to me. Did you notice anything when you stopped? 
  • Posted

I don’t blame you. It’s horrible being made to eat something that makes you ill. I found that about once a week I would throw up my dinner about an hour after I ate it, this went on for about 6 weeks, then it stopped and my gut health started to improve. I guess we’re all different with the types of withdrawal that we get though. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.