Withdrawal symptoms after short-term use

Posted , 2 users are following.

I was prescribed a 15 day course of pred for a possible inner ear infection by my ENT. 60mg per day for 10 days, then tapering down 50, 40, 30, 20, 10 for the next 5 days. The day after my final 10mg dose, I felt like I had been hit by a truck. No energy. Sore throat. Headaches. Resting heart rate was 25 BPM higher than normal. This went on for 4 days before I went to my PCP. He felt that the taper was too quick and put me back on a lower dose of pred to try and taper again: 10mg for 3 days, then dropping to 5mg for 3 days and 2.5mg for 2 days. Immediately after going back on the pred, the headaches stopped, resting heart rate dropped by 15-20 BPM, but then I noticed that my hair was starting to come out. I'm on Day 4 of the taper (5mg) and again, I feel like I have been hit by a truck. My question is whether this is surprising given the short duration of my initial regimen? And are these symptoms consistent with what others have felt? TBH, this drug is nasty and had I known of the side effects I would never have gone on it. I'm hoping that I can tough it out for this new taper schedule. Curious if anyone else that went on a short-term regimen like this had any similar experiences.

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.