Withdrawal symptoms from cipralex

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hey to all. 

I started cutting down my lexapro dose from 10mg to 5mg two months ago.  I was taking 5mg daily for a couple of weeks. Then as I didn't have any withdrawal symptoms I decided to start taking 5mg every two days. I did that for a week but I ended up forgetting to take them so I stopped taking them at all. It has been a month now. During this whole month I didn't experience any withdrawals apart from occasional panic attacks that were very mild, maybe 2-3 times, which wasn't too bad actually. 

It's been a month now and I've started feeling dizzy a lot. Especially when there's motion Involved like walking for example. Mild nausea as well. Can that be withdrawal symptoms ? After a whole month of no symptoms ? If so how is that possible that after all this time the dizziness symptom decided to visit me now. ..? Have any tips as to how long it will or can last or anything to make the dizziness better? I have heard that omega 3 or and magnesium might help but I'm not sure. I have heard that some people take Dramamine for the dizziness and nausea . Does that really help ? 

I'm a bit frustrated cause I was doing so well. I really want to make it but this dizziness is making me feel awful, like I'm floating. 

Thanks in advance 

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi Irene,

I've been cutting back from 10 to 5 too..

I was suppose to take 20 but had so much trouble at 10 that I didn't go higher..constant dizzyness and can't remember anything...can't get started on anything as my brain is buzzing constantly. Insomnia and constipation is terrible too.

The doc said to cut back to 5 and that I was on a low dose but after a couple of days, the nausea and all the symptoms I had going on them came back..so I've been chipping about 2 mg of the 10 with the hope of getting less later...it's not very accurate so I'm a bit up and down..

The trouble is, I get the anxiety back when I try and cut down too..

I'd say the withdrawals have caught up with you as it's probably finally out of your system..it takes about a month to kick in so I guess it may have taken your brain that long to withdraw..only an assumption though but it does sound like withdrawals..it's funny but I feel like I'm floating on them as well..really odd feeling.

I'd swap entirely but had such a rough time getting this far, I'm to scared to do anything too dramatic for a bit.

There's the ASHTONS Manuel which you can google and read through which is about tapering but also has some very useful info on the whys and wherefores of ADs etc which will give you an understanding of what's happening...I can only suggest you stick it out as you've come this far and I'm sure you'll come good again soon. Otherwise, you'd need to reinstate the dose, 5mg I'd say , wait till you feel better and then do a slower taper as per the ASHTONS MANUEL.. after you've had a read, you can decide which way you want to go..I'm not sure if the Dramamine will help but it might..

• Posted

Hi, I have been off them for over a month now( controlled taper down) and all my depression has come back, bad ! Had taken them for 7 years, so maybe my withdrawal will take longer, but it's really back------ flu symptoms as well, and brain zaps--- started St Johns Wort a few weeks ago but feel NO benefit---do I grit teeth and wait for SJW to kick in and give me my life back??- doc no use as suggested yet ANOTHER anti depressant, which I don't want as they make me put weight on, and lose all sense of feeling of emotion, like dead person.

Really don't know which way to go with this now! Any help out there??

• Posted

Gosh..I so wish I had an answer as I feel exactly the same way...I can't go off ADs as my anxiety is so bad and panic attacks are crippling...i've change from Mirt to Lexapro because of terrible weight gain..has been a terrible 10 months of side effects etc and like you say, brain dead on this med. I'm an artist and really struggling to find my mojo on this med...had nothing like this on the others...also having stomach problems and terrible constipation on this one...I wish I had an answer as to what to do..it actually stresses me even more because of not knowing...I don't know how long SJW takes as I only took it once a few years back and it didn't help me..probably not strong enough at the time..

I'm terrified of changing meds again after this last change...have not had all those symptoms before, brain zaps, nausea, sweats, pins and needles, anxiety, just went on and on for about 3 months..

I'm wondering if you can take something to help out short term..a benzo..not the best solution as you don't want to have to taper off them either..but possibly when things are really bad and until SJW kicks in..

Unfortunately, there seems to be few people who know much about SJW to give you an answer...I know my doc said it works...but I don't think it works for me. Otherwise I'd swap too.

I'm wondering if you have a really good naturopath you could ask..or herbalist..they are hard to find too..really knowledgeable ones anyway..

It sucks being in this position...which way to go..??

Sorry I'm not much help but answered because I feel your pain..

I hope you get some relief soon.

• Posted

Thanks Gina--- the pain is Real, worse than my gall bladder op, or anything physical I have ever had, not even bereavement is as bad --nobody can see it, not like a broken leg etc---- we are carrying this pain around , and it didn't help me taper down when doc said to stop cold turkey at 2.5mg--- sounds a small dose, but like an avalanche when I stopped, the anger, the crying fits etc-- Wish I had carried on with smaller and smaller reductions which I was doing and seemed to be managing, at least felt" in control"--now, horrible. Had talk therapy for two years ages ago, helped at the time, but I am convinced this is a Chemical thing going wrong, , not sure about an herbalist-- but anyone with more knowledge than me seems to think SJW is no good, or harmful, but I want to give it a chance, can't be as bad as " zombie" person I was on Cipralex.

• Posted

It sure is real...I got sick of being treated like i was making it all up...the doc says to just cut back when I was having trouble at 10mg to 5;mg but like you..it was terrible so I cut small amounts off over a few weeks...then the anxiety started again so I had tomgo back up to 10mg...I am still only at about 7.5 as I make small cuts off the tablet at a time...even a small amount effects me...so I can understand a sudden 2.5 drop... I really hope you find good results with SJW and let me know if you do as I'd consider it too...hate the zombie feeling...so glad someone understands exactly how I feel on it...

• Posted

Keep in touch as I would love to know how you go on---my whole personality is crumbling with the withdrawal symptoms--- cross at everything that moves-- find myself saying " you STUPID person !!!" to myself !! whenever I even drop something, it's as if I hate myself,my very persona----- STRONG temptations to go back on them for relief, but determined to wait and see if any even SLIGHT improvement off them--- but feel in limbo,abandoned, vulnerable,lost in no man's land, --- surely this will ease soon??? I will let you know Gina x

• Posted

Hello Gina

I promised to update you---- what a difference ! In just over a week since I contacted you , many changes !

Not crying buckets ! Much calmer, and lost 4 lbs without even trying ! That was the Cipralex for you ! St John's Wort seems to be finally kicking in, either that or it's just that the antidepressant is finally out of my system?? Took ages, but so glad I didn't give in and start

" updosing" again, which was tempting when climbing wall in tears.

That " pain" in my heart has gone, and I feel ,not 100%, but I can COPE! Got sick of the highs and lows, and feeling out of control that went with cipralex, and now feel in touch with the real me.Found good supply of SJW online and stocked up, and its natural, not a drug.

My poor hubby has got his wife back ( he suffered my unwarranted anger being directed at him, and the moody crying spells)

Only hope this lasts, or am I speaking too soon??

Hope you are doing ok ?

• Posted

Oh my goodness...that sounds wonderful....I'm so glad you've finally got some peace of mind and back on track with your health..you are so brave sticking it out...I'm too scared to change anything for fear of the backlash of withdrawals..

My doctor told me SJW works and he's pretty big on drugs so he wouldn't say it if it wasn't true..

The weight lose is such a bonus...i've just started putting it on again..not sure why because I lost 40 pounds when I switched from Mirt to cipralex but this week it's gone back up a couple of pounds...eeek!!

I dread to think what the poor hubby's go through...Mine was really good and we've only been together for 7 years so he probably wondered what to do..haha..

I know what you mean by "the real me" as I haven't felt like me since I started this drug...it's the weirdest feeling..just grateful not to have some of the panic attack symptoms at the moment so have stuck it out...

I hope it lasts, you may have ups and downs for a while while your body adjusts to life without meds..they say it can take up to a year to level right out so expect some hick ups and try not to stress when they come, just go with the flow and know they will pass..

I'm so pleased to hear your success, it will help me to know I can do it one day too..

Thank you for filling me in and checking back...

Xo G

• Posted

This exact thing is happening to me it's been 2 weeks since I stopped lexapro and now I'm getting all these withdrawals mainly tremors and shaking like when you have a fever. It's horrible some days I feel like I'm dying

• Posted

I'd like to think that if I was able to completely stop cipralex, that anyone can. I started the pill in 2009 when I was just 18 years old, and completely stopped January 1st of this year, at 27. When I type that out, I can't believe I was on it for (almost) 9 whole years. I think I was prematurely put on it to begin with, and then my doctor didn't seem to interested in following up with me, so I stuck it out. I slowly stopped weaning off of it in 2016, every other day, to eventually every third day, etc. The entire process took about 2 years, since I was on them for so long. I definitely felt myself feeling more irritable, but it was controllable at the same time. Finally, in June of 2017, I took a quarter of a pill every 5 days and my (new) doctor suggested I stop. So I did, January 1st 2018. Despite me being on it so minimally, I had active withdrawal symptoms for up to four weeks. Headache, depressed, anxious, sad, very nauseous.. basically it felt like I had the flu. I was definitely more irritable and angry, but I knew that I had to persevere. I went through losing my job, a relationship and now I am here, April 10th 2018, feeling like I finally made it through. My withdrawals continued for some time (Especially the anger and depression). January was very hard, February was the same, and things started to slowly improve towards mid March. I started a new job in March and tried my best to stay positive. The feelings of sadness and depression were very, very real, compounded with losing my job and a relationship. I remember sometimes thinking that maybe it wasn't worth it, that I should go back on them or, in my darkest moments, that maybe life wasn't worth it (A passing thought. I felt the best way to handle this was to talk about it with a confidant; for me, being my mother. Letting her know I was worried, and hearing encouraging words helped). 

Once the bad depression passed (Which, commonly follows stopping an antidepressant. I reminded myself this very often), I took hold of my life again in March. I started on a multivitamin, fish oil, and probiotic, as well as taking milk thistle to help with a liver detox for approximately 3 weeks. I started drinking a lot of water, green tea and got back into the gym. I surrounded myself with positive friends and got much closer with my family. I read a lot of uplifting, self help books and reminded myself probably 50 times a day that life was beautiful, that I would be okay and that this too shall pass. Meditation has always worked wonders. 

My point is simple- You can do this. It will always, always, get worse before it gets better and some really bad days will be thrown in the mix, even if you feel a bit better the day before. I'm 3 months and a bit (13 weeks) off of it, and I'm finally feeling like myself- I can see the sunshine and hear the music of my dreams again, closer today than yesterday, more uplifting as each day passes. It is worth it and you can do it. It's all about persevering and controlling your mind so it doesn't run amok. The physical symptoms will pass within a month or so, but the mental/emotional symptoms will persist longer... Just remember, you got this! Take care of yourself and positive vibes to you! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.