Withdrawal symptoms from sertraline?

Posted , 5 users are following.

My withdrawal symptoms from sertraline(Zoloft) have been so up and down lately. It’s REALLY affecting me today =( I keep getting these sensations in my head, like a big rush of dizziness and depersonalization. As if I’m going to fall, they last seconds. I stopped taking sertraline after weaning last Saturday. I wake up once a night every night, I get so incredibly tired in the afternoon that I feel as if I could just lay down on the floor and just pass out from being so sleepy. Also I have feelings of being kind of weak, like my arms and legs just feel not as strong. I’m also about 5 days away from getting my period…I just hope these sensations and symptoms are all from withdrawing. I get so afraid that I’m going to die from something serious.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

The severity of withdrawal symptoms are highly dependant on how quickly you tapered off the drug.

a 10% taper once a month is recommended to avoid the worst or long lasting symptoms 

good luck 

• Posted

The withdrawls from this stuff is horrible. I best describe part of it as the feeling of aluminum foil against an old amalgam filling, but in your BRAIN instead. Dizziness, for sure, I'm extra cafeful in the shower as if I close my eyes to rinse I often nearly fall over. Flu like symptoms seem to occur also (in me). I went back to the doctor to get a re-up as the withdrawl effects are so bad. I will try again when I have more time, but I'll make sure to be more supervised in coming off.
    • Posted

There is a brilliant link on this site that explains the 10% taper I mentioned in the post above.

I used this method to come off sertraline, it took six months but I avoided the withdrawals. I took my last tablet a month ago - it was well worth the patience

best wishes

• Posted

Omg, I thought that I had food poisoning a few days ago. This stuff is brutal coming off of.

Do you have moments where things don't even seem real?

Constant headache. Sore eyes. Aching body. It's like the flu with a helping of ebola. Grrrr.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.