Withdrawal symptoms from taking celexa once?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello! I took 10mg Celexa on the 16th, not due to depression, but instead due to stomach pains; it was however my dad's prescription which he was taking for the same reason I took it. Stupid decision to take something I wasn't prescribed, I know...!

2 hours later I suffered from a severe panic attack and weakness. The panic and anxiety lasted for a few days, however I am now left with light headedness and weakness which comes and goes. Could this possibly be some sort of withdrawal due to the intense changes the Celexa caused (especially with the large first dosage)?

Thank you in advance!

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Well we all know we shouldn't take other people prescribed medicines ....... you never know what you're taking really and medicine is only for that one person following a good health check, making sure they're not going to clash with any ailments or other medicines they take.

Celexa is an unusual medicine to be prescribed for stomach pain?  A pain killer is better plus a check up with your own doctor.  

Celexa is a serious medicine and shouldn't be taken lightly - its a medicine that works on the brain and causes side effects and withdrawal.

Taking 1 pill I wouldn't have thought would cause withdrawal, but we are all different and these pills react differently to each person.  I assume the severe panic attack was a side effect of taking the medicine along with the weakness - panic / anxiety is a known side effect as it heightens these feelings to start with (the very feeling people actually get and take these meds to cure it).

What size dose did you take?

I hope you feel ok soon - these feelings will wear off I'm sure, but you really should get yourself checked out with your doctor too.

wink xx

• Posted

Thank you for the reply!

The dosage was 10mg.

I saw two doctors. One mentioned the current weakness and dizziness is some sort of discontinuation effects, another said it's my underlying anxiety (I do suffer from anxiety but I've never had these sorts of side effects...). I'm leaning more towards the side of it being some sort of discontinuation effects.

At this point I'm just hoping to return back to normal... sad

• Posted

I ask my phychiatrist ..who I have a really good relationship with..and she says no ..not one ten milligram..it s your anxiety...take care
    • Posted

Ahh, I was hoping it wasn't. I'll make an appointment with my counsellor at university to discuss this then.

Thanks so much to both of you for your help!

• Posted

Yes true - anxiety gives you these symptoms too - the medication usually heightens them.  Could be a bit of both?

K x

• Posted

Your own underlying anxiety is compromising you here

These are strong drugs and should be respected

10 mg once was a foolish thing to do ! But the actual side effects and withdrawal should eventually settle

It's not for stomach pains though...

If the weakness continues you should see someone

20 mg is the initial starting dose

• Posted

In the UK 20 is the therapeutic dose ..but in the USA is 5.or ten or 15 and so on...
    • Posted

I been on ten milligrams for 15months and feel fantastic..
    • Posted

Great. 

I am hoping in the long term to reduce to 10 mg myself. Then stay there

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.