Withdrawal timeline.

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all, been on prozac for 4 months before tapering off for 2 months because I no longer needed it. It's now been 19 days without any prozac. Does anyone have any idea how long I can expect withdrawals to last? Currently feel run down with flu like symptoms, aches and pains, ect. Also I have noticed my concentration is not quite what it was. I am very certain these are normal side effects of withdrawal but am just wondering if anyone else has or is experiencing this? How long it lasted and how they coped? Thanks.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Passey,

I have read that it's a minimum of 2-3 months for fluoxetine to leave your system. If it was taken for a year or more it can be up to 6 months. I'd think you would be in the 2-3 month range. Have you had any improvement at all? Be sure and drink tons of water to help flush it from your system. Omega 3s will help with the brain zaps, if you have those. Xxx

• Posted

Hi, thanks for your reply. Yeah I thought it would take a while. I am coping fairly well, I'm just hoping I can shift the flu like symptoms before Christmas. It has hit me hard the last few days, hopefully this is the worst of it though as my body adjusts to life without it. I am noticing slight improvements as each day goes by and I am trying my best to think positivly so with a bit of luck it shall pass sooner rather than later. Is this something you went through yourself? xxx

• Posted

The flu like symptoms are rough. I had those getting on the fluoxetine as well. I've had to come off of several SSRIs and it's always difficult but it will get better. I've been off of fluoxetine for two weeks now. Just keep reminding yourself that it will pass, every day should be a little better. I know it's hard, particularly during the holidays. Xxx

• Posted

Yes they are, I think today is just a bad day so hoping for better tomorrow. I was expecting this to happen so I'm well prepared. How are you finding being off fluoextine? xxx

• Posted

Fluoxetine just wasn't for me and caused lots of mental and physical issues, above and beyond the normal side effects. I know it has helped so many people and is a great drug, it just didn't agree with me. Because of that, I feel so much better off of it. The withdrawals aren't fun but it's an improvement over how I was feeling on it. I hope you do well being off of it. Xxx

• Posted

It helped me but left me with aching muscles 24/7 which I must say since I have been off it are becoming less and less noticable. You are right they aren't fun but they will pass for both of us I am sure we just have to be patient. I am doing well thanks, hope you are good too biggrin xxx 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.