Withdrawals

Posted , 6 users are following.

When will this end I was on Effexor for around 5 months over that time I got up to 150mg starting at 37.5mg and then getting back down to 37.5mg and have been completely off for 3 weeks .. the first 3 days amazing and then bang .. anxiety depression panic attacks anger body pain when will it end I’ve been on fluoxetine for 4 days now the nausea in the morning is horrible and the constant anxiety and panic attacks please please help 

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

• Posted

Did Venlafaxine help you at all?
    • Posted

Switching meds is always tough. All head meds increase anxiety in the beginning and you will feel rubbish. It’s my 5th day on Ven 75 and I feel anxious, headache but feel brighter. Maybe ask the doc for a few benzo tablets to help you with transition.
    • Posted

I was on it for anxiety and all it did was made it worst and gave me the worst side effects 
  • Posted

Carl,   I feel for you.  Venlafaxine was not the right Rx for me.   And I was on it for a short duration as well.   The withdrawal for some people (not everyone) can be very upsetting.  I can tell you that I wanted off of the drug once I realized all of my symptoms (racing heart, soars in blood pressure, anxiety, irritability, night terrors) were all associated with withdrawal of a medication that was of no assistance to me.    I was erroneously brought up to 300 mg and slowly was brought down to 37.5 XR.  The road from 37.5 to 0 mg was a long one.  It took me a total of 3 1/2 months to finally get off of the medication completely.   

As of 1 week ago, I am drug free.   That is not right for everyone, but that was the best thing for me.  The road from 37.5 to zero was the most difficult.  I would slowly taper and be given different ways of doing it by my PMD and the psychiatrist he referred me to to help me get off of it.  The best solution for me was to count pellets (it must be the XR form though).   I would decrease a couple of pellets every couple of days.  Each pellet is roughly 1 mg.   Each time I dropped 1-2 pellets, I could tell.  I was extremely sensitive to the drug.   But after 2 days I would level out.  The dropping of 1-2 pellets although I could still tell, was manageable.  My doctor did give me some benzodiazepam to assist if the symptoms were too difficult.    I would take one at the end of my work day if I had struggled and was having increased symptoms.   I wanted nothing more than to be off the drug completely, and I wanted to speed the process up.  But slow and steady won the race.  Days that I would drop more than 1-2 pellets, I would have increased irritability and I would end up back-tracking again.   

I am sure that others may say that this is not a good way to do this, but this was the way that worked for me.  The benefit of this group is that you can share from each other's successes and failures.  

• Posted

Are you trying to go drug free or will you be trying another medication for your anxiety? Maybe you need something like diazepam or propanalol to help with the anxiety? I've been told that sometimes switching to another medication before going medication free helps some people as the side effects are less but as you've already come off ven that's not going to help now. Have you tried sertraline or citalopram before?

• Posted

Im now 5 days back on fluoxetine and feeling so yuck 

No appetite 

Nauseous 

Sore back

Panic attacks 

I’m taking lorazepam also when needed 

When i stopped venlafaxine I felt amazing for 2 weeks and then bang it hit me but won’t go back on them as they were not rite for me 

• Posted

It's hard when you have to swap and change meds, feel a like it's never ending. I imagine that once the new meds kick in you'll feel like yourself again. 5 days isn't enough time for the fluoxetine to be working yet but hopefully in a couple of weeks you'll start to feel them working x

• Posted

Fluoxetine won't negate Effexor WD. I know it didn't do anything for you so isn't the right drug for you but that doesn't mean that you won't have WD from it and that a bead or two won't help you feel better from the WD.  All the emotional is Effexor WD.  You have the choice to ride the wave for as long as it takes, or reinstate a small amount to get relief and then slowly taper off that.  Dropping from 37.5 mg to 0 is ridiculous!  There is a research paper that shows that even at the lowest dose of SSRIs and Effexor our serotonin receptors are bound by the drug by 80% so going to 0 means a huge amount of adjusting!

• Posted

I’m already 3-4 weeks off how long am I going to expect to feel like this 😥

• Posted

Hi Betsy. Interesting post. Today I’m startng my 9th week with the dreaded Ven. It has been a ricky ride to say the least. I went from 37.5 to 0 and I think I’m paying the price fir it. In fact my new Dr told me I was in for a rough ride. Do you have any idea how long this crappy feelings could last?  
    • Posted

What are your side effects John ? Are you 9 weeks off them ? 
    • Posted

Hi Carl. Just beginning my 9th week off them.  My side effects are zaps, upset stomach, some tingling in the hands and insomnia. Might be others but right now I cant think of them. I get the odd headache but I just take Advil or Tylonol for them.   I exercise a ton and I eat well. I know I’ll get passed this but I also know its gonna take more time. Its hard but will be soooo worth it when the side effects do subside. And I eat ginger also. Supposed to help. I’ve just started using L-Tryptophan and I also am using CBD oil and vitamin D3 and a good Omega 3 oil. At 61 I know I have to take good care of myself and getting off this stuff is a first great step!!!!!  Enjoy your evening and keep coming in here for inspiration and guidance.....  U will get better!!!!

• Posted

How long have you been on the cbd oil ? Does it help ?

• Posted

Hi Carl. I have been on it for two weeks. It seems to be helping. I am starting to feel better

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.