Withdrawing from Atenolol

Posted , 8 users are following.

I have been on atenolol for 30 years. They cut back from 100 Mg to 50 MG per day about a year ago since my heart rate was somewhat low. I was feeling tired and I would feel my pulse and it was very low. This past week I took my pulse and it dropped into the 30s. I panicked and my husband rushed me to ER. They could hardly get a BP reading. They hooked me up to a monitor and I was all over the map with high readings. They took an EKG and it was normal. They admitted me and ran some tests, echo, blood tests, etc. Everything was normal except my heart rate was all over the place. They took me off atenolol cold turkey. This was a nightmare. They called an Electrophysiologist . He said I could continue 25 mg. He ordered event monitor which I will wear for 3 weeks, and then I will see him in his office. I'm home now. Trying to get off the atenolol completely and it is a total nightmare. If I walk from one room to another my heart rate jumps sky high. My pressure is all over the place. My insides tremble, I'm so anxious, which doesn't help. Had I known of all the rebound effects, I would never had taken it. I guess I'm looking for some support from others who have been through this as some comfort in knowing I'm not alone.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

ive had withdrawal from stopping atenolol.. 100 mgs ...reduced by my gp to 50 mgs...i been given the atenolol be ause the bisoprolol was giving me so many bad side effects. ..however the atenolol also gave me trouble ! i was given the betablocker to help my atrial fibrillation. i was prescribed the biso.prolol which i gook for 5 years or so...then the atenolol for 3 years approx. after reducing it to 50 mgs i started to pare off a little at a time until i was not taking any! i had so many bad days... palps ! dizziness, hot sweats, almost fainting!, fuzzy head, wobbly legs. i had an awful time and it lasted on and off for over 6 months.

i think i know how you feel. i also think my bp was all over the place. at one time i thought i was having a heart attack. it was ery scary. However, im now off these meds...never ever to take a betablocker again. its been almost 3 yrs now since i stopped.

make sure you read bisoprolol buddies..lots of info on there. i hope you find some answers.. im sending you lots of best wishes. this drug works for some but not for me. i wish that id never been prescribed either of these betablockers. i feeling ok!just accepting my a fib and the the nervous feeling i get in my inside. good luck .

• Posted

Thanks Elizabeth, it is comforting to know that people do get through this.

• Edited

Yes, unfortunately the withdrawal from all beta-blockers is like that. My husband came off Metoprolol and spent 3 months at home, it was so bad. Then I also went off Metoprolol but I discovered some herbs that made my withdrawal last only about 4 days! The herbs are Hawthorn, Motherwort, Lemon Balm, and Skullcap. I have a post on this site where I explain my experience. My husband takes Hawthorn regularly now, as many people use it for a beta-blocker replacement without the dangers. It actually heals while you take it.

Hang in there. You WILL get through this!

• Posted

hi sister, going thru this now in my third week and really suffering. tremors dizzy, leg pain, fatigue. i am curious how long this will take. i was taking 50 mg atenolol. cant wait to shake this feeling. how long was it until you felt better?

• Posted

Beta Blockers disrupt the Autonomic Nervous System, one of the jobs of the ANS is to regulate heart rate, its fight-flight/rest-digest.

When you come off BBs, the ANS can take some time to regain its equilibrium, took me a full year and I had only been on for five weeks. In fact three years later some symptoms still remain.

Regarding the heart rate being all over the place for no reason, I recall just sitting down and my heart rate was all over the place, jumping up to 140 for now reason.

Though I have far worst examples on my other computer, here is one graph, (the lower blue one), that shows my heart rate whilst asleep jumping between 36 and 92 bpm.

My heart rate variability has returned to normal now though.

• Posted

Hi Peter, I realise you posted this 16 months ago but i could really do with some advice if you're still on this site. Ive been off BB for 9 weeks and think my ANS has been damaged like yours . Dont know where to turn for help. many thanks

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.