Withdrawing from Cocodamol

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi 

I've been on cocodamol on and off for a long time now because I've had quite a few injuries in the last few years. The latest is a fractured verterbra. I'm nearly healed but I really want to get off the cocodamol as from reading online I'm beginning to think my exhaustion and brain fog is due to it. I've been on 1 paracetamol and 1 cocodamol 8/500 4x a day for months (and injured 10 months, earlier I was on 30/500 8x a day but tapered down). Now I'm trying to do 1.5 para and 0.5 of an 8/500 cocodamol. This is the 3rd day. Today I felt quite nauseous in the morning and now (5.21pm) even though I slept ok I feel so exhausted that I could practically pass out. On a "normal" day I'd be fine until evening. I woke up early this morning feeling very hot but went back to sleep. Can these symptoms be from reducing the dose? I can't remember how I felt before when I reduced because I put all symptoms down to my injury.

Thanks

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

I'm on day 4 after 10 odd years of 8 N+ a day. I've tapered down to a maximum of 3 a day just to try and manage withdrawal but I am having a really hard time, despite not going CT. I am really, really tired even though I have had long, albeit quite disturbed sleeps. And today is the first day I haven't had bouts of being extremely hot. Another thing that has felt quite disturbing is that I have had very little concentration. I keep forgetting simple things like normal routines or people's names (even typing this I've made loads of spelling mistakes!) You may not have felt so bad last time as since then your tolerance has built up and the longer you are on it the harder the withdrawal. It all sounds very similar to what I am experiencing. Just realised you posted 2 days ago so you are on day 4 like me! How is it now?  

• Posted

Hi 

a bit better thanks - still hot in the morning and some panic/depression that eases off as the day goes on.  Nausea seems a bit better too.  As that begins to improve I now have to fight a plain old cold bug too🙄 good luck to us both, I’m determined to keep up as I’m fed up with feeling like a zombie!

• Posted

Don't be fooled. I think that cold/bug is defo part of the withdrawal, it's got me a few times in the past when trying to come off. Cold, flu and stomach bug type symptoms are all on the list of codeine withdrawal symptoms. In the past I've thought, 'oh great, just as I try and come off I come down with something, better take some more and start again when it has passed.' But it is actually the withdrawal itself. I've felt exactly the same all week with cold and bug type symptoms. I've taken paracetamol a couple of times to ease this but that's because I'm trying to avoid ibuprofen which is what is doing the real damage. But as your poison is paracetamol I would suggest just a couple of ibuprofen, NOT N+ though, then you're just swapping one for the other! Yea good luck to us, another guy I'm talking to and the other millions of people trying to ditch their hidden addiction. Keep going and stay strong my friend 

• Posted

Don't be fooled. I think that cold/bug is defo part of the withdrawal, it's got me a few times in the past when trying to come off. Cold, flu and stomach bug type symptoms are all on the list of codeine withdrawal symptoms. In the past I've thought, 'oh great, just as I try and come off I come down with something, better take some more and start again when it has passed.' But it is actually the withdrawal itself. I've felt exactly the same all week with cold and bug type symptoms. I've taken paracetamol a couple of times to ease this but that's because I'm trying to avoid ibuprofen which is what is doing the real damage. But as your poison is paracetamol I would suggest just a couple of ibuprofen, NOT N+ though, then you're just swapping one for the other! Yea good luck to us, another guy I'm talking to and the other millions of people trying to ditch their hidden addiction. Keep going and stay strong my friend 

• Posted

Interesting, thanks!  I must say though it probably is much easier for me than for you as you were on it so long.  Well done you.  I'm really looking forward to seeing if/how much of the brain fog goes, I'm beginning to feel like it will never go away.  But I do realise that they say the physical symptoms go first and the brain/psychological ones hang on for longer.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.