withdrawing from fentynal

Posted , 9 users are following.

my story (as short as possible...)

mild crohns. remicade (for severe crohns etc) -dr hoped for fast remission. nope. after 2 times remicade and 2 times humira..after 2nd time.. later- i went to take bath. felt stiff. maybe 5 minutes (?) later-i was in a pain i never knew before. like fire going through my insides and joint pain all over. i was in my later 30s by now + never had arthritis or similar. 

ultimately--ended up on fentanyl. 

dose: two 75 mcg patches (150 mcg) every other day. 

--- BUT... before fentynal.. i was on many various pain meds. stronger and stronger. but i still couldn't  function..so he finally put me on fentynal. i was scared of it.. but ended up staying on it.

i was also seeing a rheumatologist taking methylcortisone every month. 

lastly- i was put on methotrexate. 

i was seeing drs in nyc near my parents and chaned some early-but..finally-my rheumatologist and pain dr. 

my rhematologist was NOT appy i was on 60-70(mcg?) methylcortisone

for about 4 years! he dropped it to 40. i was on it 4 more months but last 2 times (months) -i had manic attacks.. and they were scary bad. -finally i asked to get off- cold turkey. -yes. but had to keep in close touch and if i had any major symptoms-off to hospital. i got off. but ..my adrenal glad at first did not function. it took over a year to bit by bit function again. the fatigue was horrible. not even close to like being very tired. and i had more pain..but not bad..since i was on fentynal. 

off methotrexate about a year and a half (?) after i got off the methylcortisone. also on pentasa for crons..but that i think is safe. and a few other things. 

2 weeks ago is wen i found i had to get off fentynal. -i was glad..and not. 

it allows me to live my life! but..i know ..it is full of dangers. also-

my rheumatologist did extra blood tests.. -to have positive ana is to be expected.. but (one?) was a test to check for lupus. ---it was positive. -he said it is likely the crons etc .. but.. still..we need to monitor. ...anyway:

WITHDRAWAL :

so.. i take two 75 mcg fentynal patches.. my dr set te schedule..like wit many oters also having to get off it. plans for withdrawal much depended on the kind of patch..as well as ones illness...and more. 

i get off 1/4 of 1 patch every 2 weeks. 

1st lowering -i was shaking a bit.. and the dr right away said yes.. this is enough reason to put on the clonidine patch. shhakes stopped. 

yesterday.. i dropped something glass..and all te bending. etc..plus other errands that day- by night i was in some pain..and a little shaky. 

i am guessing it is just-i overdid it  but--i was only a little lower in dose.. -and before -if i did the same.. i'd feel it--but not like that..and was almost always fine te next day. yesterday..te pain was worse by nigt..and still ere in morning to even a little now. and some shakes..but less. 

... tonight i am set to take te next step in lowering. 

tonight is te nigt set to take only half of 1 of the 2 patches. .. i admit..

i am worried the more i lower.. the worse the pain will get. 

i hoped -as the dr did.. that i would be ..at least not even close to like back then. yes.. withdrawal will be hard..and get harder. 

but..i am scared of going in to the hospital.. so will do all i can to be here. 

any replies will mean a lot., 

i wrote a reply to melissa.. but also added my story too.. as i was confused about one ting w new posts.. i am new.. but also.. shaky..and - 

well. really want to read oters comments..

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

i am so grateful for the replies. 

i am more than grateful to be part of this forum.

i hope we can continue helping each oter.. as well as learn more together about not just withdrawal.. but ow it affests our diseases (or reasons we were or are on fentynal-and need to now get off) 

also..to learn about supplements and vitamins.. and for tose of us with immune disease.. to help in tat way too. I am not sure if i have lupus.. but did test positive. i a,=lso have crons ..and --wo knows.. maybe my severe ount and tendon pain is...more about luus. i dont know. my dr wants me to not worry..and says it may be the crons that caused the ana test for lupus.. to..

well..so much of autoimmune disease where white cells attack false .. oh.. too much to write now. but.. wanted to say.. they all are somewat tied together.. not te "same" ..but.. not ..well. 

it all played into why many get put on fentynal. and then..many are put on it for other reasons. but.. i do know autoimmune stuff like lupus / crohns etc etc often led to fentynal. 

as muc as i don't like or trust pain meds.. i trust bio-engineered meds less. -even to some ..like remicade..have been out awile.. tey still know.. little to nothing. we are guinea pigs in many ways. i only wis all dr were more sensitive to us who are going thru..endless meds.. being put on  and then off.. because it..is too dangerous. -but..ten.. what will appen?

i ask eac of you wit auto immune disease.. esp. lupus.. your stories.. if you wouldn't mind, 

i am doing my best to stay positive.. and not tink on tis too muc.. but.. need to be informed..as well...as in a forum with iters like you all. whether you ave autoimmunes disease or not. 

i mean... tisnis about withdrawing from fentynal... 

and it is important to keep it just tat.. but ..i tink some tak on wy on it can be of help as well. (not sure).. 

big hugs to all of you, 

have to go.  

• Posted

PS: sorry for typos.

many are due to keys on my keyboard not working well-and i have to make sure to press hard for the letter to sow up. H is worst.. but L  K  "return"  and a few more i often don't notice when it doesn't type throug..i try to edit.. but.. today..am short on time.. will do my best. ..sorry 

• Posted

Hi Andrea,  I'm also glad I found this forum as it has helped so much knowing that I wasn't suffering cold turkey alone.  I do feel that I've got through the withdrawal now and it took about three weeks.  The first week was absolute hell but I knew I had to stick at it, second week still bad, nausea, shaking and no sleep at all but by the third week I was feeling much better and sleeping a couple of hours at a time.  This is my fourth week and I'm sleeping ok, but am still taking a mild sleeping pill (lorazepam).  I hope to come off this in a couple of weeks.  The relief of being off that awful Fentanyl is wonderful and I'll never get into anything like that again, however much pain I'm in.  I do hope you can soon be free of the drug and I hope my comments have worked.  As you say doctors don't seem to care what they are leading their patients into when they give them Fentanyl but luckily we've got internet to thank for putting us wise. Good luck and kind regards, Kathleen

• Posted

Hi there,

You are doing great honey, just take it one step at a time.  The shakes and the blues will go away pretty soon.  You are making a wise decision to get off the fentanyl as soon as you can, I have been on it since 1998, and am now down to 50 mcg patch every 72 hrs, was on 100 mcg patch every 48 hours for at least 10 years (probably more).  It is a mean beast, for sure.  A new pain doc told me last week that 1) back in the late 90's when they started prescribing fentanyl they did not know what they were doing and 2) it was assumed it would only be given to folks who were terminal, in other words, would die and never need to withdraw.  On that bright note, I will say that the stories here on this blog are inspirational and I have often said we are the face of fentanyl withdrawal, for any professionals who care to look.  It is honestly a brutal thing to go thru, but the bright side is never going back to it, there are other drugs that are much easier to go off of.  I was taking 240 10 mg vicodin a month and quit cold turkey with little to no symptoms, so that is a ray of hope.

I would encourage you to read all of the fentanyl discussions here and find someone you feel is like you, and reply to one of their messages, or private message them, you can do that by clicking the little envelope by their name.

Keep fighting the good fight, and be another success story, OK?

Best of everything to you,

Leigh

• Posted

Thank you so much Leigh. You have been a true inspiration to me!

Melissa

• Posted

i..i am going to try to read soon. i want to really kniw what all you have and are going through.

i love that we can help each other. 

...i just have not been doing so well since going from 1 and a 1/4 patch to 1 patch ...i am 1/2 off (was on 150 every oter day...for many years...forget now.. maybe 8 or ? maybe 10? i -have to check.

i try to keeppositive.. but admit.. confusion w my sort of ex bf are hard. -he is so great..but aso..can disappear a bit. b/c of tings with us.. i still love uim ..and he loves me..but0is scare dor? -i can't takeit now. -i don't know what to do. he cancelled today (1 example of disappearing) he asked about caling later. -(we tak every day)..but i asked if i can call when i am up to it..likein a few days or so.. he was trying to say tings.. -i know..feltbad about cancelling.. and -watever else..-i ..can't do it. -i think ididthe best thing ..i don't know. -it's hard..and i wish it wasn't going on at the same time. 

also..

i found i definitely have: Systemic Lupus Erythematous

to anyone wo has this.. it would mean a lot if i can know how you are doing with it?

feeling very shay ..inside my body. feel feverish. luckily no D or flu stuff.. ..tat would be the worst (for me) but.. this is ard. also a little pain.. i take ativan...for my illness..disease..whatever.. it helps tis too. as does clonidine. 

may need to ask for a breakthrough pain med..and hope mw dr will alow it. i see some of you,. or ...however many- have gone onto or ..? -tings ike percocet. ...does it work? comparedto fentynal..percocet is ike"nothing".. i used to get hydromorphone 4mg for breakthrough..but--even taking 4 or whatever..did nothing, my dr saw i almost never used it..and said it is no surprise: compared to fentynal it does nothing. 

will read ..typing now..-well..don't feel well.-very saky inside..and -feeling..oh no..i hope not ..te flu stuff. 

sorry.. i am positive.. and determined... but i nweed to speak what is appening. 

i admit.. even tho my dr prepared me about te lupus a few week or so ago-..andi alweays wondered.. it is still scary to know it is now known as a fact. i will read about it.. but..hope some may ..?

must stop writing.. also-still a bit upset re my  (ex?) boyfriend. .

i feel bad..and will miss taking.. but ..it urts..and-emotions are already igh with withdrawal..so-.. i ad to. -but.. i also..care about him..and i don't mean to.. -.. 

ok. next times i write..i will write when more clear. hope people wont see me as negative... . thanks; will reply to new notes later.. but reading now. or..in a fewminutes. need to just ..time-out first. 

hope everyone is doing ok ... hugs to all of you. <3

• Posted

Hello Andrea

I see that you posted a month ago or so, so I wondered how you were doing with weaning off of fentanyl, and if you were feeling any of the symptoms I've had since being fentanyl free for 3wks now.

I was actually surprised to read the heavy dose you were prescribed (2x 75 mcg/hr) every other day. I hope you have defeated the worst of it.

At first it was like hell, and I was alone suffering. Even though I weaned off very slowly, every step down was killer, and the last 3 days were worse.100x stronger than heroin, fentanyl should probably only be taken if you never will be getting off of it. It works very well for pain - but is it worth the withdrawal? I say no.

It's been 3wks, I still have insomnia, fevering, my system is out of whack - especially my stomach: I've never felt so bloated in my lifetime of 46 yrs! Please let me know if you have experienced this too. I am still sluggish but not as immobile as I was. My neck injury burns and pain crept back, so I turned to topical cannabis oil in form of a speed stick from one of the new compassionate clubs we have in our city. It works pretty good. I feel like I have my mind back too, which is great. We should be proud; not many could handle what we've been through. It can b difficult 2 get the healthy exercise I need feeling the way I do, but I try. I've learned not to get too excited when i do have the odd "great day" but look fwd to a time when I won't have to worry about it. I wish you all the best with your journey, and hope you are feeling better every day.

• Posted

Hi Andrea,

I have been on fentanyl too many years at one stage I was on the maximum dose and overlapping and also taking 60 milligrams of oxy and about 8 tablets a day of 100mg Duloxetine needless to say I was a mess.

It got so bad that I thought I was about about to take a long drive on a short pier, I'm sure you sympathize with that point.

I have a serious neck problem in my spine and 13years ago I was very lucky to come across some news about Procain trigger point therapy, it saved my life!

After this my pain was reduced and I considered for the first time seriously reducing or coming off the fentanyl. Coincidentally ran into a nurse who worked at b drug support centre here in Perth where the only doctor in Australia was treating with Naltrexone implants.

I've had two sessions of that, each treatment can last 12 to 18 months.

Finally I had to get back on the same fentanyl but at a much lower dose now, I am considering Palexia recommended by my doctor.

Withdrawing from such high doses on your own can be very very difficult especially if you are still suffering so much pain. The Naltrexone implants are tiny incision in your belly it works immediately and washes the drug from your system and cuts off the receptors that force you wanting the drug.

I found the hardest thing was the pain in my legs which is often associated with long term use of synthetic drugs. I found it difficult to stand up for three days, difficult to walk for 3 weeks and for about 6 months found it difficult to stand up with out some support as your legs appear to become so weak. This can be reduced and helped bye having Epsom salts bath and drinking tonic water as the Quinny helps the cramps.

I hope this information helps you please let me know if you need more details take care regards Bob

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.