Withdrawing from Mirtazapine 15MG ADVICE

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have been on this Med for 1 1/2 months. I am experiencing 4 out of 5 common side effects and have not seen the doctor since they were subscribed. (She has rescheduled twice)

Any advice on withdrawal will be appreciated. Wish I had never taken them.

Sylvia

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

What side effects are they. It agreed with me and cured my lack of appetite, anxiety and gave me good deep sleep. Unwanted ones for me, overeating and drowsy on morning til lunch time but not sorry I took it as right at the time when other AD not helping.
    • Posted

Weird dreams, vision changes, overeating, weight gain, constipation. I conclude this is not for me but I have no clue as to how I get off of it.

Thanks so much for your reply. I am new to this process.

Sylvia

• Posted

For me I would try and get advice even over the phone. As you have only been on it 6 weeks shouldn't be too hard. Try halfing the 15 mg tablet? You haven't said whether they have helped with your depression because it did for me hence sticking with it.
    • Posted

Actually the only changes I have noticed are the side effects. It was prescribed to me for depression, anxiety, and sleep. The weird dreams prevent quality sleep.

If this doctor does not reschedule again I will see her on Friday. So, as you suggested, I might be able to get help with withdrawal.

Thank you

Sylvia

• Posted

Hi Sylvia

Hi, sorry to hear of your hard time with Mirt'.  To address your question, first be aware that the doctor may well want to increase your dose to

30 mg; the lower dose is usually a start up at 15 mg and that dose deals with anxiety and insomnia quite well.  The higher doses 30 & 45 mg are used more for depression.  Quite a few folk on this forum have experienced an increase in anxiety going from 15 to 30.

So, 6 weeks is relatively short, there is a web site that addresses coming off AD's and I will send it to you separately as the moderator will remove my post if I put another web address on here.  The rule of thumb is 10% every 2 to 4 weeks, if I were you I think I would get a pill cutter from the chemist or ebay, breaking into quarters, take 3/4 (12.5mg) for 2 weeks see how you feel, and if ok i.e. no anx' or withdrawal take 7.5 mg for 2 weeks, and again see how you feel.  Then a quarter for 2 weeks.  There can be some pretty nasty wd from Mirt if rushed, so please be careful.  I too am withdrawing and have been reading up about it for quite some time.  If at any stage your anx' is increased - stay at the dose i.e. do not drop down until you feel settled, maybe a day or maybe a week or more.

Your doctor may well say increase to 30 mg (30 is less sedating - the lower the dose the more sedating funnily enough), OR will say to "just stop or take 2 weeks, I'm sure this is not the answer.  If your doc prescribes another AD it might be best to choose one that you can take whilst withdrawing from Mirt, for example Prozac (or another).  Sometimes people have start up symptoms of the new AD and can't tell wether the symptoms are from withdrawal or the new AD !  

I hope this might help a little Sylvia, and I wish you well.

Best wishes  C

• Posted

Good advice. Like you said I was told two weeks for WD and start sertraline during second week. I was told to skip a dose every second day. Told by others completely wrong advice. Three weeks off mirtazapine and anxiety gone though sleep not great.
    • Posted

Thank you so much for the information and advice. It really makes sense. I really feel insecure because I have only seen this doctor once (when she put me on Mirt.). She has rescheduled twice since then.

Thanks again☺

Sylvia

• Posted

I have been on Zoloft 100 MG for 3 months. I just still have terrible anxiety and especially when I lay down to sleep hence the Mirt was prescribed for sleep......then I got the weird dreams.

Sylvia

• Posted

Hi Sylvia

So you are taking 2 AD's, Zoloft & Mirt, and now want to come off Mirt and stay on Zoloft right ??  

If you are seeing your doctor tomorrow I would go in with a piece of paper with your question listed, and believe it or not - and I did this - at the top I wrote and said to the doc "I need continuity and a sympathetic doctor" - and the doctor at the time suggested another person in the practice and she was wonderful!!  So it worked out well.

The weird dreams yes, they are also weird and wonderful though don't youu think!  Not scarey at all.  They fade in time like the tiredness in the mornings, but the fatigue never really leaves.

Does Mirt' not help at all with your anxiety ?

C  x

• Posted

Thank you so much for the much needed advice. I do need more continuity and a sympathetic doctor.

Not sure if the Zoloft is doing me any good either. I am being told I am depressed but the anxiety is what drives me "crazy".

It is a feeling of impending doom. I can't remember the last time I was really relaxed and not uptight.

• Posted

Happy to help Sylvia.  Depression and anxiety very often go hand in hand, it's awful, I had that plus insomnia, and of course the inpending doom.

Have you been advised to try CBT at all?  Cognitive Behaviour Therapy, it's a very positive therapy that eases you gently to make slight changes, either in your thinking or doing/exercise especially, getting out in the daylight - which can be a great help for the anxiety - in fact I was told that if you are going for a walk and look at the horizon the anxiety disappears, and it works!  

I think recovery from D & A is like a 3 legged stool, Drugs to help if symptoms are unbearable whilst then moving on to therapy, meditation, and also diet and exercise.  Adding supplements into the mix if needed.

I think dieting and losing a lot of weight tipped the balance for me having lost quite a lot of weight in a short time, missing essential magnesium which promotes good sleep, then anxiety and insomnia hit and then depression - I think in that order.  You can google foods rich in magnesium.

I hope your doc is helpful and doesn't cancel again !  

Best wishes

• Posted

Your are very wise and extremely helpful. Your advise and sharing your experience is so appreciated.

Sylvia

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.