withdrawing from pain killers

Posted , 5 users are following.

Is there a group who can support one during withdrawing from painkillers? I am plagued with headache/migraine and have been utilising prescribed pain relief. As part of the plan to better managed this I have been advised about the "overuse" concept.....This is going to be NOT MUCH FUN and would like to have a grizzle opportunity.

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Narcotic anonymous is a good group. There are meetings everywhere. I am sure you could find one close by.
  • Posted

What pain killers?
    • Posted

Prescribed and over the counter. I am a bit peeved about this....it sounds as if I am a drug addict. I am doing this in order to find out if my frequent headaches are due to overuse of analgesia.

• Posted

As stated for daily headaches which have worsened. I spoke to my new medico about better managing this, as I am not a fan of drugs. It was pointed out the headaches maybe the result of overuse of paracetamol etc. The headaches are real and severe, so I guess one should go drug free for a couple of months. This seems tobe a sort of " cold turkey". It is going to be an ordeal, so I am thinking so emotional support is going to be necessary.

• Posted

Hi Melanie, Sounds like you are just like me. I have been suffering from migraines for 20 years now... it becomes a vicious cycle -- taking the over the counter meds like Excedrin every morning (which usually work for the not so bad headaches), but then I guess migraines meds (Maxalt or Imitrex, etc) also cause "rebound" headaches. Have you ever been prescribed a preventive med such as Topamax or Amitriptylene? You might want to be under the care of your Neurologist or Gen Practitioner while trying to go off your painkiller? I have weaned myself off the Tylenol with Codeine several times -- it's not that hard but you may end up in the bathroom a lot or feel flu-like symptoms but mine wasn't very severe at all.  I did feel better after about four days.  I still get about one migraine per week, but it's better than 3-4 times per week. I am waiting for some new preventive migraine pill (or injection) to come out -- I hear it's pretty good.  Don't feel like an addict -- these people must not know about the rebound effect of over the counter meds and how they can actually cause the migraine you're trying not to have!!  Again, you might want to be in touch with your doctor while you do this to make sure it's safe with the meds you're taking.  Good luck to you!!  

• Posted

I agree, the headaches were horrible.  I used iScentials Calm for Headaches it is a combination of peppermint, lavender, grapefruit, & wintergreen essential oils & comes in a small bottle with a roller ball applicator.  If you have pets, you have to be careful about what essential oils you use & where you store them.  I found this one at TJMaxx, but it seems like you can find essential oils everywhere now.  Good Luck,

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.