Withdrawing from venlafaxine

Posted , 8 users are following.

I've been on 75mg a day for about 10 months due to panic attacks, but it makes me feel unwell constantly, I decided to cut down but as soon as I missed a dose I just slept all day and missed another one, so I've just decided to go cold turkey, I'm on day 3 of no pills. So far, I've slept on and off, I'm just so tired, the brain zaps started on day 2, so I'm just wondering how long this is going to last for? I've looked through these forums and most people seem to be on higher doses and been on ven for a lot longer, does it make a difference to the withdrawal depending on dosage etc? Any advice would be appreciated, thanks!

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi gillybean I would not recomend going cold turkey. I was on 37.5 three times a day and went cold turkey as the meds were affecting my vision,terrible sweats,Insomnia and facial rashes. Opticians and Doctor told me i needed glasses which i bought £220. Stopped taking venlafaxine cold turkey had all the side affects brain freeze,Banging noises in head,Swishing gravel sensation in head and bouts of mania and confusion. This went on for several months and my Doctor would not believe it was anything to do with withdrawal symptoms. He has informed DVLA I have suffered a psychiatric illness and my driving licence has been revoked until i can show 3 months of mental stability.I am/was a Hgv driver thats why Dvla were informed. I do not need to wear glasses anymore since I  stopped taking the med. I am 3 months off the stuff and feel fine now still get slight headaches. I am not trying to scare you but if I were you i would tapper off this drug very slowly. Hope you are ok and get off this drug safely
    • Posted

Hi Michael, I understand what ur saying but I've been cold turkey for 9 days now and will never go back to it. Glad to hear ur doing well now!
    • Posted

HI gillybean glad you are ok. drugs affect people in different ways hopefuly you will not have as bad a time as me coming off the stuff. hang on in there the affects dont last for ever. you can do it, good luck and stay well.
    • Posted

HI gillybean you will cop some stuff - anoyed at people ("If gilly was on the VF they would not have said that to me" comments..)

Intolerance - (I know i need to do xyz, so WHY did I only do z ?!?!? )

I think this is part of the slump after the hump, but like everything else, there are going to be ups and downs..

Spike Milligan said that the beautiful sunrise after recovery led him to do brilliant stuff.

• Posted

I been off 4mths an stil withdrawl city just eant my life bak..the dox said first three m ths ment to be the hardest but al feels the same to me..but no goin bac 4mths off fighting to here no way im giving in..
    • Posted

Hi jaye may I suggest you start taking cod liver oil as many have found this to be helpful, it may not stop the withdrawl but in my case 2 months before I stopped VF I started them because the omega 3 in them is beneficial to the brain to the point with me that I am on my 3rd week off VF and no withdrawl.  Hope this suggestion helps you.
    • Posted

Yes I agree with Simon the cod liver oil helps, ive been off Venlafaxine for 8 weeks and it definitely helped with the withdrawal symptoms
  • Posted

hi gillybean36

what sort of dosage would you recommend works for the cod liver oil or the Omega 3? i've just stoped taking the Ven (about a week now) and hoping that this time i can actually get thru all the symptoms and not give up yet again...

• Posted

I take 1 capsule a day which is 1000mg but sometimes I would take another one if I had a bad day. Hope this helps 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.