Withdrawing from venlafaxine - last dose yesterday - how long will withdrawal last?

Posted , 13 users are following.

Hello, I successfully tapered down my dose of venlafaxine modified release from 300mg to 37.5mg over several weeks. The modified release tablets do not come in amounts lower than 37.5mg (and can't be chopped into smaller quantities), so I had no choice but to take nothing today now that I've got to the end of the tapering.

I've felt okay at every stage of reduction so far, but having taken nothing today am beginning to feel pretty unwell from withdrawal (it took several hours to kick in). I'm dizzy, nauseous, having brain zaps - the works. I don't think I'll be able to go to work tomorrow at this rate.

I'm determined to come off this drug, because I'm commencing IVF, but I don't know how to handle this last stage and have a few questions:

1. After stopping completely, how long does venlafaxine withdrawal typically last?

2. Is there anything that eases the symptoms, or do you just have to work through it?

3. Several forums talk about a capsule form in which people take the beads out the capsules and reduce the number gradually. Does anyone have suggestions for tapering from 37.5mg on modified release tablets?

Venlafaxine was great for me for a long time, but I don't know that I would take it again - I hate being so dependent on a drug.

Many thanks in advance for any advice.

1 like, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

It's sort of hard to say how long it might take you to come off if it because everyone is different. But I have some tips for helping the withdrawal effects!

-Take 1,200 omega 3 capsules (fish oil). 4 in the morning and 3 in the afternoon around 4 or 5pm

-Drink decaf green tea. It helps to came you down a lot if your having anxiety.

-try Prozac 10 or 20mg for a bit until you start feeling better. But be careful because a lot of people say it makes them angry.

-I also heard dark chocolate helps because of seratonin levels. So try eating that

• Posted

37.5 is actually low enough to maintain for a while while you undergo IVF. 75mg would have been fine too.

Can you not slow down a bit and take 37.5 for a few more weeks until you feel stable again? Is your prescribing doctor in the loop and monitoring you? How long was your condition stable (ideally symptom-free) at 300mg before you started to taper?

Safely dropping with minimal withdrawals and chances for relapse from 300mg that you were on should typically take several months to a couple of years and not several weeks.

Withdrawals from a fast taper can last for a few months. This is less of an issue than a relapse is so the real concern is your psychological state during pregnancy and following delivery. It all depends on your history so here again it is better to be monitored by your doctor throughout.

To ease withdrawal symptoms you need to maintain some light to moderate activity, try to keep as regular a schedule as possible, rest adequately at night, eat easily digestible food and they say omega 3 helps. Frequent warm showers will help regenerate you - any contact with water is helpful. Chamomile tea and caffeine free herbal teas in general.

No caffeine, no stimulants, limit sugar. Dark chocolate will help with serotonin changes somewhat as sara pointed out.

I do hope you feel better soon. All the best.

• Posted

Thanks for your message. To be honest, I just want to be off this stuff. I've been stable for at least 2 years, but I can't help but wonder - despite what the literature says - whether the venlafaxine is affecting my fertility. I would never have started taking this medicine if I'd known how hard it is to come off - there should be far clearer warnings attached to it. The idea of taking a year to get off something is ridiculous - and this should be made clear to anyone who considers taking it. I've seen a variety of GPs, none of whom have given me much support, although they did guide the tapering process, and the timeframe is in accordance with their advice. The problem with primary care in the U.K. is that you never see the same GP twice, so there is no capacity for regular monitoring or continuity of care. I did consider picking up 37.5mg again, but now I'm off this nasty stuff I want to stay off it. I should add that venlafaxine is the only medication to have worked successfully for my condition - but, again, I wouldn't have taken it if I'd known them what I know now. Thanks for all the tips.

• Posted

I can sympathize with you wanting to be off the stuff. Everyone feels so defeated when having to take medication. Sounds like it helped you a lot and you were probably ready to taper by the sounds of it. But would have likely been better off going a bit slower.

The problem with primary care in the UK, besides not having a set GP to monitor you, which is much the same everywhere else smile is that GPs are prescribing psychotropic medication and then jerking things around. There is a point, usually just after minimum therapeutic dosage is exceeded or any complications arise, when a responsible GP should refer a patient to a psychiatrist or at least consult one himself as a professional. Inadequacies of public healthcare aside...

The reason for the long taper required is not the dependancy on the drug per se, but the nature of the brain

In proper drug dependancy, once the physical aspects are resolved, a drug is often craved for the pleasure/relief it gives. I do not know anyone who fondly remembers or craves ADs. As ADs do not provide an instant relief nor usually a very pleasent sensation. A rebalanced brain does not physically 'crave' the AD  either.

The more inappropriate the discontinuation (too fast or too soon or both) the more difficult it is for the brain to regroup at peak performance. If peak performance was not reached and maintained for at least a year and preferably longer while on the drug, the brain has not 'retrained' and will fail to aim at ideal balance. If peak was reached but taper is rapid, brain may delay balancing out (=protracted "withdrawal"wink or may fail to rebalance.

As for your fertility - noone can say for sure. But i think there is more evidence of stress related conception problems than problems caused by ADs....or even illicit drugs smile 

I know several women, of which I am one, who got pregnant while taking venlafaxine specifically.

You are taking control of the situation and that is great. But if you don't feel better soon, I would reach out and discuss with a doctor. Preferably also get an opinion from an experienced psychiatrist if at all possible to get a referral.

Wishing you an easy ride. And good luck with IVF. How soon will you be starting the treatment btw?

• Posted

Hey I've just read your discussion I've been on the max dose of venlafaxine plus lamotrigine propranolol trazadone for couple of years to try to help my bipolar disorder.  I have recently pulled myself off of all the medications as I didn't feel any benefit and only really suffered side effects, does that mean I'm not ill. No of course not. I've been ill my whole life. I had more triggering factors in early age than most i.e. Abuse, neglect, rejection. In my opinion venlafaxine is an extremely dangerous substance, I have discovered from my own experience with it that it has detrimentally damaged my brain. I missed a couple of doses and what happened set me on path to sudden and abrupt withdrawal. I've removed myself from all meds in about 8 weeks this doesn't include any weaning other than half my dose one week stop it exactly 1 week later. I am currently going through a turmoil inside, sick of being ill, sick of none working meds and doctors who just sit and listen and offer no real emotional help. I did all the therapy talk rubbish it only brings your problems more into focus, so back to my experience. I missed a dose of venlafaxine couple of times accidentally, and was left with electrical shocks in my brain or as some like to term them 'brain zaps' because that's how it feels as though someone is electrocuting your brain. Once I became aware they never stopped and became more frequent. I researched and found its very similar to epilepsy, now I have never been epileptic, but now I suffer these 'zaps' constantly. My only hope is that at some point this feeling along with my others withdrawal symptoms, in answer to how long till your ok? I'm not sure you will ever be ok after taking these drugs, I've read some people still suffering 5 years after stopping taking them. I hope you aren't having problems like me anymore. I'd just like to let people know my story, albeit very short, hope this helps. Medication isn't the answer, that's sciences answer. The human body is the most complex organism we know, therefor if we can make our selves I'll, mentally or physically, then inside we have the ability to put ourselves right. Without medication. And with that thought, I am now searching my soul for my cure, wish me luck and god bless all who suffer mental health. The most taboo illness to have. Thankyou 

• Posted

Hi Dean I have been on venflaxine for about 3 to 4 years. As I was feeling low and weepy last October the doctor increased it from 75mg a day to 150mg and then to 185mg. As I didn't feel myself the psychiatrist took me off the venflaxine by crossing it with lefropamine and weaned me off the venflaxine over 2 weeks. I have been so ill. Having nightmares. Cold and hot sweats and stopped my last venflaxine last Friday. Now I'm on the lefropamine only I feel spaced out. My chest feels tight every night like I can't breathe properly. I sometimes think I would be better just on 5htp as doctors don't seem to know what they are doing and I feel more awful now than I did before. My whole body feels drained and my head numb.

• Posted

Hi again I did wonder myself and it was before I read your reply to someone else stating you had wondered if venlafaxine was affecting your chance of becoming pregnant? I would take a massive estimated guess that it has had a negative effect on your entire body, it's effected me in so many ways, one of them was lowered sexual libido. To the point I havnt had sex with my partner since we conceived 2 n half year ago. It's put me of sex. It's also changed my senses, before taking it I cannot remember having an acute sense of smell, listen to this, since taking venlafaxine I can smell things I shouldn't be able to smell. E.g. Whenever I'm in the vacinity of women I can smell if they are having a period, to the point I can even say your time of month isn't it, this is very uncomfortable as it's a very over powering sensation like someone was wearing a period ladened perfume full of hormones. I can smell illness in people and a can smell fear, probably all due to some altering of my brain connections so if it can do that to me, and I'm a 6 ft 4 inch 20 stone man, I'm sure messing with your fertility, is well believable, once again I hope your better now or at least in a better place. Take care

• Posted

I know this is somewhat off the topic, but just wanted to let you know that I recently came off Venlafaxine 150mg cold turkey. I had been taking upto 225mg, but be honest the increased dose was ineffective as I think I was looking for something to treat the effect of the drug itself. I'd been on it for about 18 months but I just got sick of the emotional desert I was living in, sure no anxiety but no mood either, just couldnt live with feeling ambivalent about everything. 

For me the process went something like this.

Just plain stopped taking..then.....after about 24 hours

4-5 days of constant brain zaps tapeing off quite quickly and responding well to Omega3 and Multivitamins with lots of water. They are pretty weird but I positively reframed them kmowing that this was part of me regianing my neurochemistry, then you can embrace the horrible little $@^%#$s

2 weeks of emotional lability, I can honestly recommend not waching emotionally laden films on a long haul flight if you want to get off with any shred of self respect.

2-4 weeks of a sensation of the worst constant hangover combined with the flu, headaches, nausea, diarrhoea along with a general feeling of "brain fog" and loss of ballance.

It sounds terrible.....but throughout the process you get ever increasing periods recognising yourself emerge from the drug and each day after the first week just gets better.

The short half life of the drug is what you are fighting against. Its very effective and was helpfull when I needed it, but it makes you susceptible to any change in dose.

The gradual reduction plans are undoubtably easier on you and definately safer if you had significant mood and safety issues, I took it mainly for anxiety, but my experience was that I suffered little in the way rebound anxiety, only fleeting episodes of significant depressive symptoms but was troubled with tearfullness and frustration but not too much anger. As I say, the benefits are that throughout this...even though you feel s**t, you know you are getting better.

For me excercise was key as well as the general helpfull advice I found here.

I absolutely know its not the reccomended approach, Im a doctor with considerable experience in psychiatry and general practice, but when I knew I was done with this drug, it was time to let it go and get on with it.

I had a couple of people close to me, aware of what I was doing, just to backstop me if I lost insight, but overall this has been one of the most positive experiences of my life.

Whatever path you take, make sure you are safe and that just as Venlafaxine didnt solve all the problems, neither will coming off it.

For me it was worth every brain zapped, fogged out, headached,loose BM, nauseated,tearfull moment.

It has certainly given me a huge appreciation of the potency and potential problems with these meds and a great respect for those sharing the experience.

Best..........Mark

• Posted

Hi Mark zedz what exactly is a brain zap that people describe, i have been on venlafaxine for 15 months. Cheers. From Rebecca.
  • Posted

Hi just wondering how you were doing now madamboulanger? Have you got off Ven now? How long did the withdrawals take after that last dose you posted about or did you go back on? 

Either way I hope you have had success at getting pregnant and after taking this drug myself I can understand why you would feel an urgency to stop taking it in the hope of getting pregnant.  I presume everyone will say it doesn't effect your fertility but looking at how ill it is making me I can't see how it bodes well for pregnancy especially at higher doses. 

Like you I have been on 300mg for a couple of years.... I started out on 150mg and on reflection should never have let myself go up from there as 150mg was a miracle in turning my depression around. 

I had tried other AD's of the SSRI variety with minimal success and side effects I didn't like (loss of orgasm being the main one - who wants to get well, feel love and desire again only to be stumped at the crucial moment!)

I met a great GP who prescribed Ven. It was like waking up from a coma not only did my depression lift significantly more than on the previous AD's but I could enjoy a full life so to speak and at that point Ven turned my life around. My partner and I started our own business during that time which would definitely not have happened before. 

The wonderful GP saw me every month and we had a great relationship - I believe if she had not have left I would never have ended up at 300mg.  Sadly she did leave the practice  after a year. She advised me which doctor to see in future but I never found the same understanding from any other GP.

Meanwhile the business was going from strength to strength and I felt serious pressure. Late nights working. The reality of running our own business really hit home - I was unhappy and strung out. I went in on an emergency "on the day" appointment and wasn't questioned too much when I asked to be upped twice (225 then 300).  Not that I blame the doctors themselves but I'm sure if I was being monitored more closely by the original GP that I knew I would have been told to think twice. I know this as we discussed what would happen if I felt like I needed to up my dose (she told me then the more I took the harder it would be to get down)

At 300mg Ven started to work against me, I no longer felt such a lift in moon or anything. I started to get a rash on my upper arms chest and back. The rash got worse in warmer weather till it was driving me mad with scratching. I now had it in my scalp, on my tummy and I felt too self conscious to wear tops with no sleeves or a low neckline. 

I also felt that I got hot easier and sweated more which just aggravated the rash....one day I got so fed up I decided to stop taking Ven. Like you I swiftly got down to 150mg in a few weeks but the withdrawals have really kicked in now and I and everyone around me is suffering. 

Lucky I work for myself as I wouldn't be able to work. I sleep but fitfully. I have hot flashes at night to the point if I didn't know better I'd think I was starting the menopause (I had blood tests done and thankfully that's not the case) although I knew it wasn't! I knew it was the Ven....I am brain and body dead till lunchtime - I get the kids to school and go back to bed till 12 still sweating and itching. The rash is disgusting the whole top half of my body is little scabs and bumps. Everywhere.... I do the minimum to get through the day which is hard with 2 boys under 10 and 2 older step sons and our own business to run. If I could I'd take to my bed indefinitely until I felt better but I can't obviously.  Im going to stick at 150mg for a while now as I fear any lowering of my dose now would leave my incapacitated completely. 

Hence I reached out to you as you were on same dose as me and had tapered quickly so I'm interested as to how you are getting on..... I too have had addiction issues in the past and I would also never want to go back to the dark days of depression either but I'm glad I've made the decision to claw myself back from 300mg. 

It's taken me ages to write this as my brain so fogged. I'm exhausted now lol. But one last thing thank you to anyone who posts on threads like this (I don't usually but felt compelled)....I wish you all good luck on your journeys - onwards and upwards! 

• Posted

Hi could you not do every other day with 37.5mg for a week or two, then miss two days so you have 37.5mg every third day. Then miss 4 days, and take one, then another 4 and take one, then miss five and take one, then miss 6 and take one. Then stop maybe, but i would check with doc this is okay. Good luck from Rebecca.
  • Posted

You can cut the tablets. Just slice a piece off go slow. I heard you go back on 37.5 will help w withdrawals the slowly slice pieces off
  • Posted

Hey guys,

These forums really helped me when I was withdrawing so here is my experience:

I’m 24, f, 170 cm, 120 lbs. I was taking 70 mg for about 18 months, then 37.5 mg for about 9 months. I decided to stop cold turkey rather than do every other day etc because I found I had withdrawal side effects if I missed my dose by a couple of hours, so didn’t want to long out the process of withdrawing. 

My withdrawal symptoms were: nausea, dizziness, brain zaps, poor concentration, diarrhoea, night sweats. It wasn’t pretty. I had these pretty much from day one. If you’re going through this then I feel for you! You will get through it, even if you think you’re going to die. 

The first 3 weeks were the worst. You really can’t do this on your own. I was lucky and my housemate did a lot of things for me, cleaning etc and let me rest up. 

The things that helped me feel better included: exercise! I did lots of hiit classes and cardio classes at the gym. This honestly made such a difference. Also, going in the sauna really helped. Finally, I started taking a high dose of omega 3, about 6 capsules a day after food. I had read on another forum that this helps your brain and I think it did work for me. 

The first couple of weeks are terrible but honestly you will get through it. I’ve been off antidepressants for 2.5 years now and haven’t looked back. 

• Posted

"Does anyone have suggestions for tapering off 37.5 mg...."

I have been wondering the same thing. And what's more Ive researched it extensively. Counting out the beads in brand.name Effexor XRis by now almost standard practice of taper off gradually. What choice do we have? The drug company gave us none, so we have to do what we can. So in answer to your question, imo you dont need to experience severe symptoms going from 37.5 to 0mg. You could reduce the beads in your 37.5mg caps gradually and have a easier time with it. From what Ive read your symptoms may last months as your brain rebalances it's seretonin levels.

my issue is that the venlafaxine extended release I am on is generic (sandoz) and inside the capsules are not beads but mini-tablets. I can make a few useful taper doses from combinations of the minitabs.

But what I am dying to know is if I can cut them in half or qaurters? Does anyone havr experience with this?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.