withdrawing help needed please

Posted , 2 users are following.

hi all i'm 54 post meno 5yrs been on propranolol 10mg 3x daily since august 2018 for anxiety not on any other meds as can't tolirate antidepressants can you please advise me how to withdraw off them as getting a lot of off balance feeling sure it's the meds i would like to come off it but scared i'll have heart attack even though i've not a problem with my heart any advice is needed please thank you in advance

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

First, check with your doctor about withdrawing. But, here is what I did.:

I was only taking 10mg once a day and it was enough to keep my symptoms under control. At some point, I thought I might not need it and began to research how to withdraw. I cut the tablet in half and stayed at that dose for two weeks. Then went down to 1/4 tablet for 1 month. After that I stopped completely. I think it is really important to not rush the cycle of withdrawal - I have read too many posts from people who had problems.

I ended up going back on my 10mg once a day because my heart palpitations returned. I have stayed at that dose for many years.

Best of luck.

• Posted

hi thanksfor your reply can i ask what you were taking it for mine is not heart related it is for anxiety,i was on 40mg to start and now nearly 2 weeks on 30mg but started feeling off balance i can only put it down to the tablets, had ecg's and blood work all normal,i do not want to be on it anymore as i'm not going out in fear i will pass out my blood pressure seems fine but this tablet is stopping me from being the person i was,

• Posted

Please discuss this with your doctor and let him/her know you want to taper off. physicians don't usually recognize that the taper has to happen very slowly. Make sure you reduce the dosage over a period of weeks. Be patient with your body and ask for an alternative treatment.

• Posted

Hi - I was taking it for migraine headaches and an irregular heart beat. I have taken it for many years now, but just once a day and a low dose. Once I thought I could discontinue it, but the headaches came back, so I will just stay on it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.