Withdrawl symptoms after coming off citalopram

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have discussed this problem before on these forums but have not really got a satisfactory answer. I have been taking citalopram for a number of years after being diagnosed with clinical depression. I decided to come off them around five weeks ago. I am at the moment suffering from extreme fatigue and tiredness, I am not sure if this is as a result of withdrawl symptoms because I have sufferd from fatigue for a long time due to my crohn,s but it now seems to be more continues and a lot worse. Is there any one who has suffered from withdrawl symptoms after coming off citalopram and if so can you please tell me how long did it take before getting back to somthing like.normal.  By  the way I did come off them slowly.

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi.  I'm just going to work now but I will reply at length later.  I seems that we are both in the same boat! 

• Posted

Hi.  I see that you've had quite a few replies to your post.

From my own point of view, I see this drug as being helpful in getting through a stressful time. That's a good thing.  The trouble is that some, like myself simply stay on it too long and it then becomes a problem as it really does affect us in several negative ways, most of which have already been outlined by other members of this group.

I was on 20mg a day several years ago when I was very stressed following a seperation from my wife and other pressures.  It was coming on Christmas (a season that I find incrediby stressful and unpleassant) and my IBS (like your Crohns) was making it hard to function.

With the help of the drug I got through that, and things begun to improve for me.  I should have started to reduce the dose then but I continued to use it as a "prop', and my doctor was more than happy to keep issuing repeat prescriptions without interview.

At the start of this year I made a decision to work towards coming off them altogether (I don't recommend cold turkey).

I reduced to half a tablet each day.  At first I experienced mood swings, lack of sleep etc, but as time went on my body adjusted to the new dose.

About 2 months ago I reduced this to half a tablet on alternate days.  Again I started experiencing symptoms as before, but I stuck with it and things returned to normal.

Last week I reduced to 2 half tablets a week, which must surely have very little effect on my metabolism.  I am a little dizzy at times and my sleep pattern is not perfect but I'm ok.

The next step is to stop taking them completely. I'm on my last pack, and I don not intend to order any more.  Think I'll leave it a few more weeks and try to stop around my Citalopram anniversary - just before Xmas!

I'm sure I'll survive, and be better for it.

Maybe you could try the same sort of plan that I did?  It worked for me.

Please keep in touch and let me know how you're doing.

Take Care,  Simon

• Posted

Thanks for your very informative letter. I sorry to hear about your domestic problems it can't help your recovery. aia havr been off the citalopram for around 5 weeks now but feeling very fatigued and tired and as you say sleep patterns have been affected. I am also suffering from joint pain in knees and shoulders.  The thing is, as I have already told you, I have suffered from crohns for the last 52yrs and have had several operations which is what brought about my clincal depression..  Now all of the things I have highlighted that I am experiencing with the withdrawal symptoms I am suffering with the crohns. But it has all got much worse since coming off the citalporam.  I am just going to percevere with this and see if it gradually gets better, I do not want to be tempted to start taking them again. You take care and I hope that things start picking up for you.

• Posted

Hello. It sounds like you need to see a psychiatrist and not a doctor, GP's cannot help with your state of mind. The word mental can be so wrongly used. You need to understand your state of mind and then don't look back, look forward. I am 51 and I see a whole wide world ahead of me. You don't mention your age and also why you got depressed. You have to face the demons of the past and my only personal advice is to let them go. I used Citalopram for six months so I am speaking with a bit of experience. 

• Posted

When I had taken Citalopram previously, I was on 10 mg for 1 year. At the end of that year, I felt like I didn't need to take it anymore, so I just never picked up the refill. I felt horrible for about 1-1.5 weeks. My body ached all over, my joints hurt, I felt weak, couldn't think clearly etc. It's good that you titrated off of the medication, as opposed to stopping cold turkey like I did. I guess it comes down to what amount you were taking daily, and for what length of time. Also it sounds as if you have a couple of different issues going on besides just the withdrawal symptoms. Funny, how we start taking medications to help with a problem, and in the end these same meds that at one time helped end up causing us, often times, larger problems. SSRIs change the chemistry of your brain, so thusly it's going to take time for things to return to normal. Hang in there, hope that you start to feel better soon. ??

• Posted

I recently lowered my dose of Citalopram from 40mg to 30mg and I currently have symptoms of extreme fatigue and tiredness like yourself alongside muscle spasms and a dull head.

I do attribute these symptoms to my dose reduction. 

Sadly I'm not in a position to say how long the symptoms last for since I have gone back to taking 40mg to resolve the above mentioned symptoms.

• Posted

Please listen. We all react in different ways to it. No advice is going to be the same. Ask a doctor. All this thread is doing is confusing people. I was on 60mg a day and I functioned fine. Now that is not the answer for you, we all have a different chemistry make up. See a psychiatrist and get to the route of the problem. Why are you depressed!!!???
    • Posted

See a doctor?

That will be in 2 weeks then!

I have been waiting that length of time to get advice from the doctor about withdrawal. By definition, citalopram users are anxious people.  I have had to wait two weeks to see a doctor.  Is it any wonder that I have come to this forum for reassurance? 

• Posted

Hi,

I have recently stopped citalopram after being on it for six years. it has taken me many months weaning off and now I am proud to say I have done it. I had no problems with fatigue but I did have vertigo like symptoms and very bad insomnia. Extreme , I would say ! Now off it completely for around six weeks and I am back to sleeping normally, which is a great relief. my swishy head has subsided also and life is back on track. I, from time to time, have a negative thought but isn't that part of life.I would like to assure you that it does get better after this drug and just stick to it. Do not give in ! I wish you all the best.

• Posted

Thanks for posiitve response, it is appreciated. This was the type of answer that I was after. Unlike some of the responses which are way off the mark,Talking about seeing pscyhiatrist.etc. It is nothing to do with depression, that was irradicated a long time ago, thank goodness.

​Once again thanks

• Posted

I would like to add that my motivation is back bigtime also biggrin

• Posted

I'm very pleased to have been of assistance. makes me feel good too, knowing I have helped you in some way. Stay strong and there is light at the end ! I feel as if I have awoken from a long sleep and the world is as it should be with it's ups and downs, the difference being I am facing it head on instead of the previous bandaid effect. Life is not meant to be scenic railway ride and I enjoy feeling me again, Life is great. Hope you have the same success !!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.