Withdrawl symptoms of citalopram. SOS

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi i was on 40mg of citalopram for three years, and recently discovered that it was causing me to sleep a lot to the point where i would be more asleep then awake. (awake 3hrs a day and asleep for the rest). I also couldn't sleep at night due to numbing pains in my palms and feet. I went down to 20mg and then competely off it. I am feeling very over emotional i.e. crying at everything, irritable and have bad headaches. Is this normal? and will it go away? Please someone help me im only 20 and no one understands what im going through :'( I don't want to take the medication again as it was causing so many issues. SOS! sad

2 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi hana2901.

how long have you been off citalopram?

im coming up to 9 weeks now and have to say it has been a long process. The first few weeks I was suffering from head rushes but they passed. I have had weeks where I have been really irritable, crying etc but they do get less and less. My last 'episode' was last week - felt I couldn't cope, crying easily, questioning the decisions I've made - it was also my time of the month and think my hormones had a lot to do with this.  This week feeling fine again!! 

stick with it, these feelings do pass but if you feel your really struggling speak to your doctor and perhaps going onto 10mg and coming off from there!

god luck x

• Posted

I was on the med since i was 17 so 3yrs.  I went off it only a week ago
    • Posted

hi are you coming off slowly just reducing your dose slowly?? as you should be, your doctor should supervise you been weaned off, its really important to do it very slowly.

Anne smile

• Posted

Thanks jane13876!  Is there a way to cope with the withdrawl symptoms better? x
    • Posted

Hi greengirl2901

i personally didn't use anything, but a friend of mine went to a herbalist and was given something to help with her withdrawal.

the only thing I did was exercise which helped relieve the anxiety.

sorry I couldn't be anymore help x

• Posted

Hi green girl

let me reassure you that what you are going through seems to be normal withdrawal symptoms, but as i am not medically qualified, i would make an appointment with your gp for some support through this.

I also think that you have reduced your dose far to quick and to go from 20mg to 0 is a big drop, you need to reduce slowly to minimise the symptoms.

For me what worked is that i was on 20mg for 15yrs following the death of my daughter and yes i did need it and it definately done its job and helped me get back to some normality.  Now i am in a different place, am settled, married to a fantastic man and thought right i dont need these as an emotional crutch anymore so i wanted off them

I reduced from 20 to 15 and stayed on 15 till i felt well and didn't have any side effects, then i went down to 10 and stayed on 10 till the side effects where gone, when i got down to 5mg i stayed on that for approx 2 to 3 weeks, then i stopped them.  I also take omega 3, garlic capsules and vitamin B complex, now i cant say for sure if these have helped, but i feel as if they are so i continue to take them.

I have been off citalopram for 10 days now and i feel great, i have had minimal withdrawal symptoms and i hope it lasts, but i am prepared if i do get them.

Please go and see your gp as you really do need some extra support like counselling or CBT therapy as well as he might have some different anti-depressants which wont cause you so many problems

Juliex

• Posted

I have come off, after 13 years and feeling emotional all the time too but going to stick with it.  Who knows whether I will go on another but I'm going to persevere for a while.  

There is a good forum started on the withdrawal from Citalopram with lots of good advice re supplements to take.

Take care.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.