Without venesection how does the body get rid of access iron?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Ive been suffering symptoms for a long time and been told my iron profile not high enough for venesection. My symptoms arent easing. I really lack knowlegde as does my GP as there appears to be no support. It seems that while i gave blood yearly it eased symptoms, now im not allowed to give blood Im in my early 50s so no periods for a few years to support removal of iron. Im at a loss really..is it a reality that my iron profile will continue to rise because my body cant cope and is unable to flush it all out? There dosnt appear to be treatment outside of venesection which really is unhelpful to those who are suffering with symptoms such as chronic fatigue..joint pain tummy pain etc.

1 like, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Surprising that Ireland isn't one of the leading countries in relation to this disease considering hemochromatosisis also referred to as the Celtic curse!

• Posted

One in 80 in Ireland is said to have haemochromatosis.  "Celtic curse" is a misnomer and a myth.  Most of ancient people who migrated to Ireland came from Iberia (Spain and Portugal - who also previously came from somewhere else of course, e.g. northern Africa, the Mediterranean).  The Irish adopted the celtic culture at a much later date like 1800s.  The real Celts came down from the Rhone (and previously from Scandinavia) and settled in France.

There is a high percentage of people in Spain and Portugal who have haemochromatosis - they have been sitting quietly on it.  It is also referred to as the Viking curse, as the Scandinavians have a high percentage of haemochromatosis.

You may correctly refer to haemochromatosis as a metabolic disorder, not a disease.

• Posted

My grandad had and my uncles have the viking curse otherwise called dupuytrens contracture. I've never heard of hemochromatosis being the viking curse. Do you think its related? Thank you Sheryl. I love your informative advice.

• Posted

It seems that the same peoples (Scandinavian and the Celtic of north western Europe) where there is a prevalence of haemochromatosis also has a prevalence of DC, but they do not have to have HH to have DC.  Some people with HH have DC and some people who do not have HH have DC.  Iron overload is not the link.  It is a different inheritable gene.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.